Beiträge von steveirl

Zitat von 8Tech

Csi caliper rebuild kits are available complete with seals, boots and heat shields as well as pad retaining clips and pins. Will probably be cheaper to rebuild these than replace 840 calipers complete!

If you need new calipers, I'll buy your old ones.

8Tech.

Thanks for that, it will probably be after christmas before I get a chance to check them out,

I have a brake judder which I have posted about here in my CSi. Checked it out today and all front bushes are fine, just one droplink slightly worn so I am replacing both of them.
    Then had a look at the discs and they are wearing unevenly suggesting one or two pistons are seized?? I have just priced CSi calipers and holy moly they are expensive. Too early to tell if I need them yet, lets hope not.
    Steve

The majority of MEP's in the European Parliament are failed politicians who have been nominated to Europe by their governments as a way of getting them off the home turf, in many cases because of scandal. The worrying thing is that the Euro Parliament is a powerful body responsible for formulating policy in all areas, and just like this fool Davies, they are ill informed and trying to make a reputation, and secure their future in what is a very well paid job.
    Steve

Thanks for the help guys it is much appreciated. The car still seems to be for sale, at that price if I had not bought my car i would be over in a shot to check it out. My friend however is still undecided as he has just bought an M635CSi, lovely motor in silver with black hide.

Zitat von arnie

Steve,

Is there not a system based on actual CO2 emissions, for cars post 2001?

No Arnie
    there is no emissions based system but they are talking about introducing such a system starting next year. Currently annual road tax is based on engine cc, same tax for diesel or petrol, turbo makes no difference to the tax. It is a very old system and they have just increased the rates every year. It goes up in bands of 100cc so for example a 1800cc car costs 490euro per year, a 2300cc car costs 760, and the top rate is 1380 per year for 3000cc and over.

I have a De Tomaso Pantera also, and it had poly bushes when I bought it four years ago. i changed them all back to factory fit, some of the poly's had wornin an oval pattern resulting in suspension slop, they were noisy and the ride was too harsh. my pantera is a widebody GT5S and front tyres are 285 width, rears 345, so the car generates a lot of g thru corners, polys were too inflexible.
    Steve

I already pay 1380 Euro per year road taxon the CSi, and the same again on my Pantera. its the top rate and applies to any car over 3000cc. Here in Ireland they have not even jumped on the environmental bandwagon yet, but they are just about to and talking of penalising any large vehicle . I shiver at the thought of what my CSi will cost to tax in a couple of years.
    Steve

Re: HEADLIGHTS

Zitat von loganrunn

I am sure someone has changed out the regular bulbs for the headlights to the XENON, but what would be the best place to buy them (U.S.)?

Have you removed a bulb to see the type? It should be easy to source them once you know the bulb type if non standard.

Finally got the car up on the lift to have a look at the front. The car is vibrating under braking at speeds above 50mph and pads and discs are new so it must be suspension. Anyway I noticed two things while looking at it. Firstly it is easy to turn the aluminium wishbones ( no.13 in the attat diagram) on both sides just by grabbing them with one hand they can be twisted. there is no movement in any other direction. Is this normal?
    Also just by looking at the bushings (no.10 in the diagram) I can see there are gaps in them as if pieces have detatched. I assume that they should be like any other bushings i have seen, uniformly round as they protrude out of the mounting? Any help much appreciated.
    Steve
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/sho…btnr=31_0222&hg=31&fg=05e

I bought a set from Autostyle, £70 your choice of colours, matched edging and they embroidered model lettering too. A little more expensive but they look brilliant.
    Steve

8 ser buyers guide

Hi Jason
    best of luck in your search for an 8. The monthly magazine, Classic Cars, has a BMW 8 buyers guide in the Jan 2007 issue which will be published in the first or second week in Dec
    Steve

I looked at several 840s 98 and 99, before I bought and all were in the 10 to 13k range which seems to be a fair price for a good car, check it out well, make sure every single item on the car works, no smell of coolant witn heater on full, and preferably bring someone who knows about 8ers with you if you are not too sure.