Beiträge von Noggie

I wonder how they calculate shipping, seems to be like a lottery.

Terje and I made the same order (two T-shorts and 1 long sleeve).
    Terje got quoted $54.55, I got quoted $61.25 and we live about 4 kilometers from each other !!!

The company is currently assessing if they can ship both orders in one shipment.

I just placed an order, now I dread the shipping is going to make me cancel.

Not the first I have heard of insane shipping prices. Last year I was buying a small electronic gadget from the US, the gadget was 52usd, got quoted 93usd in shipping.
    I actually sent them a mail and said that this had to be a mistake, sadly, that was not the case.
    I ended up taking by business elsewhere.

My problem is not quite like that, and I'm going to replace the temperature sensor in the AC panel.

My car will blow cold air from minimum to about the 20c setting, at with point it changes abruptly to heating. 19,5c = really cold, 20,5c very warm.

I've got new temperature sensors off eBay for next to nothing, and I just need to pull the control panel and solder in the new part.

Guess its more of a track/fun car now.
    The engine used to be in a purple E34, just search youtube for e34 V12 Turbo and you will find several clips of it.
    The car was originally built as a GT4 race car back in 2008/9 I believe with a modified M70 V12 with approx 340 wheel Hp.

On a side note, my Supercharger story finally came to an end today.
    With help from a skilled local tuner my 850i 5.0 M70 now produces 426 Wheel HP and 600nm.
    Depending on how you want to calculate drive train loss the engine is producing between 470-490hp.

I think revtor might be on to something.
    You may have to trick the car into believing it is in N or P all the time. Remember that a car with an automatic will only start in N and P so that might be what you need to do.
    Going from old memory I believe people who did manual conversions on E36/E39 put a permanent 12v input on the pin that tells the car its in P or N.

Revtor may actually be able to help you with pin numbers, not sure if that would be on the DME or the EML though.

Zitat von Nifty50;129303

but methinks Egil is in a different league.

Not really, but with no wife or kids my financial freedom means I can prioritize differently.

I'm not buying a Mercedes, I'm buying an AMG, they just share the looks of a Mercedes, much like an ///M car is somethinge entirely different than a BMW.

Zitat von NickF;129295

I used to drive my 850 every day and it was fine, but I know what you mean. I think the E46 M3 is basically an old school BMW. It wasn't very different from the E36 that came out in the early 90s when BMWs were good. The M550d appeals as it's stupidly fast and I'd guess reasonably frugal, but the current 5 series doesn't do much for me visually and despite the vast speed I'd guess it's fundamentally a bit boring. I've driven several lesser F10 5 series and they were good, but dull. Sadly we don't get the M550d in the UK which is a shame, as the M5 is saloon only and thirsty. They also depreciate like there's no tomorrow. Anyone owned a Panamera or similar? I wonder if Porsche manage the functional yet interesting a bit better.

Yes the E46 M3 is a old car, mine was 10 years old when I sold it, and it was an -04, that M3 has been around for 14 years now, and the E46 chassis is 18 years old now.
    I guess one of the major advantages the M550d has over the other 5's is that it still has a hydraulic steering, not electric like the normal 5's.
    Also the active suspension is a MUST HAVE on a 5, or its a lardy beast, the electronic dampers and the active anti roll bars really transforms the handling of the car.
    Its not an exciting car when it comes to looks, I agree with that, but it has just the right balance between comfort and sportiness that I need in a daily driver albeit it might be a bit large for my use. The suspension, steering and engine can change from comfortably floating across cobblestone city streets and speed bumps, to being able to throw it around corners on country roads with the push of a button.

That said, I just might go for a Mercedes next time, or AMG.... not really a Mercedes....
    I dont like the looks of the new BMW's, and for all the greatness of the M550d it really lacks a proper engine sound.
    The new C63 AMG looks better than any new BMW, has a fantastic sounding V8 and is the size and weight of a 3 series with 5 series comfort. I really think that is a very good car and after 15 years with BMW's I might give it a chance..... after all I still have the 850 in the garage.

I think you must be driving boring cars then :laugh:

I am not of the same opinion.
    My previous daily driver, an E46 M3 was incredibly fun to drive.
    While my current M550d Touring is on the comfortable side, this car can be almost as fun as the old M3, with active suspension and swaybars this massive car can be thrown around just about as much as the M3.

While I love driving the 850 I can't help feel disappointed in many ways. The sluggish steering, the tram lining at low speeds forcing me to do constant corrections and the 4 speed auto.
    The car is not really comfortable to ride before you hit 120km/h, then it kind of settles and is nice an planted on the road.
    It does have it upsides too, the sound is better, it gets attention and stares the others did not.

But I am glad its not my daily driver.......

I believe they come in 3 basic versions.

1. European version. clear glas, tinted turn indicators.
    2. French version yellow glas, tinted turn indicators.
    3. US version. clear glas, orange turn indicators.

There may also be RHD and LHD versions too.

The nordic version, or daytime running light using the 21w filament in the parking light is related to the wiring harness and bulb sockets. since they can be used from you old light, it does not matter.

You just need to make sure you dont get the US one with the orange indicator, or the French one with the yellow glas.

I have 3 of these in my garage, but I can't find the BMW number on any of them, one has a Hella number on a sticker.

I guess going with the Nordic version will be a safe bet.
    But as far as look goes the -178 should be the same as the -328.

try this.

turn on fog light. if you have no light, try to open the boot lid. if the light comes on you have a wiring issue.
    What happens is that when you open the lid you get ground to the lights through the boot light switch.
    The ground wire is typically the first that breaks, and its the thickest one.

I had to do a repair on my car several years ago, I noticed the the inner tail lamp was not working, fiddled with it and it started working, closed the lid and the light went out. cut open the wire protectors and the ground wire was broken, and several of the other wires were damaged but not yet broken.

So I got this message in the MID, and the dreaded red oil can symbol in the dash.
    Because the engine is running perfectly smooth, without any valve clatter I have pretty much determined that this is a false alarm.

Over the years I have gotten this normally after an engine wash, so I have seen it from time to time in the past.
    However, this time it's not going away. And it appears to be coming and going.

So.
    Oil level is good.
    No audiable signs of low oil pressure like valve clatter, the valve lifters being hydraulic should start to clatter a long time before the pressure is actually low enough to trigger the alarm.
    The oil may be getting a bit old, it's due for a change.

My question is, are the sensors prone to fail, after all its in the filter housing, and the connector is filling up with water every time you wash the engine, and it sits close to the exhaust manifolds heat.
    When disconnected I have no alarm, (I forgot to connect it when going for a short drive) so I dont think its a wiring issue.
    I can start up the car, drive for a while and the alarm pops up, it may come and go, but tends to stay on until the engine is switched off.
    On restart it is gone, and may not come back on the drive home.

I think I just need a new sensor, anyone else changed this?

I understand the Alpina group has radio's they use on trips like this.
    Is there anyone who might be able to buy one for me and bring it to Norway when the arrive?
    I know Terje has one so it would be nice to have on with the same band.

I find this to be either a joke post, or the LHD cars are different from the RHD cars.
    LHD cars have a footrest from the factory.

even though the i8 is a stunning looking car, I will not buy one.
    it's probably as practical as the 850, so not really a daily driver.

I cant have two "summer cars" in my garage, so I'll stick with a comfortable sedan/wagon as a daily driver.
    Currently have an M550D wagon, but next time I'll either get an F10 M5 or an AMG C63s.

All stickers (stripes) can be bought from Alpina.

As for the bonnet, may be just as easy/cheap to get a metal worker to cut/bend the louvers in your original bonnet, and he could probably make a NACA duct too if you want that.

I may go that way as my car needs a re-spray, just have the gilles cut, but I'm not installing a NACA duct on mine.

Lots of people have drones, so no problem there.
    I will use my GoPro attached to my car in various places during the trip, And Terje will do the same.
    I will also bring my Eos 60D SLR for normal pictures.