Beiträge von Lloyd

Ok then what is the relay number that I should change? Its worth also pointing out that sometimes when turning the key it takes a second or two to fire up, not ever time but probably 1 in 5.

Reinhard I will have a look at this next time and look to drill out the spot welds etc. Its only surface rust at present but I just want to stop it there.

Gents my key is one I had cut at the local Timpsons the day after i bought the car so that I could preserve the one BMW that came with the car. Therefore I dont thinkit has the transponder (1991 model)

Well update: Today on the way home from work I stopped at the shops to buy some food. When I came out I turned the key and no response. I then turned the key to the position II for 10 seconds and then turned the key and the car started straight away. So that to me seems more relay and less starter motor. What do you think guys? If so what relay do I change?

Well I had a brief look last night and found my jack unclipped and one of my speakers on the back shelf was loose. Both wedged with cloths as it was raining (Jack clip is loose even when clipped ) and driving it today was much better. You dont get many easier fix's than that. Well I will fix it at the weekend.:top:

On that note can the tray under the batter be removed? I know the exhaust hanger bracket bolts to it? Its just I would like to treat that area to a coat of rust preventation paint etc as water had been trapped in there at some point.

Update today and probably not connected?? Anyway it happened again today and because I was in a car park next to a XK type R I thought I would let him pull away before opening the bonnet. However this time I had left the key in the ignition and the ignition on (all the lights on the dash etc.) Anyway he pulled off and I thought I would give another go before opening the bonnet and hey presto it started straight away.... Lazy relay?????

Wow you have posted exactly what I was about to report. On the shocking roads and speed humps around my way with the windows down i felt if I shut my eyes (not a good move when driving) I sounding like I was in a scrap metal van with the sound of what appeared to be a lose heat shield etc. I did ask the MOT guy last week to have a look and he reported all was well. Man it bugs me hence my plan to post. Now there are two of use wanting a response!

Thank Alex I may take you up on the spare. This may be an indicator of something wrong with the fan in that I of late I get hot are out of the door window vents regardless if the heater is on or off hot or cold. How easy is it to swop the blower fan?

Has there been a how to ?

Gerry where is the cooling fan / location?
    As for the starter solenoid any tips or just buy a new starter motor and solenoid if so where is the best source? ££?
    Timm are for long drives etc i cant remember the last time I drove the car more than 10 miles?

Well looked at the fuse box under the dash this afternoon and discovered this fuse number 19 melted to the box. It took some time to get it out (one tab borke off in the process). Could this be the reason and if so whats the cause.
    Revtor, Gerry, anyone.....

It still recorded a bleep on the multi meter showing it had not blown.... or had it and when warm went open circuit?...

Well guys as we are experiencing a little hot weather my car has decided on two occassions not to start when hot. It went for its MOT today and whilst it passed with flying colours it refused to start after the test. The battery was ok all the lights came on, on the dash but nothing not even a click. This also happened on Wednesday outside the BMW dealer 20 mins later she starts! Any ideas where to look fiddle poke etc...:help:
    Today at the MOT station they put they fan in front of the engine to help and hey presto!

Mine needs replacing having looked at it recently as Gerry said its a trap for all things damp!
    I will email BMW tomorrow for a price it can then sit in the cupboard waiting for the next school holiday!:grin2:

I remember Tall Tony having it done but it didnt last and that would be my worry. I would like a bisuit colour interior in my black car (currently black interior) but that would involve lots of colour changes!