Beiträge von Lloyd

Yes its an auto.
    I have just returned home witht the car having got a cab 1 hour after leaving it and surprise surpise it started without touching anything :?:? Any ideas.Any one????

:oops: Its happened again. It being that my 850i won't start having driven to the shops and stopped for a take away it will not start. I am not sure if it a problem with the alarm (toad) or the car. All the lights come on but it won't turn over it is as if a immobilser is active. I have just caught a cab home and really need guidance in what to do next!!

:D:D
    Well here's the update

I have measured my coolant level and yes it had gone down so I decided to ad some radweld and hay presto no more steamy window. Yes is true all the windows can and do still steam up but not the same level on the windscreen and thus it clear very fast.

As for the rear screen I decided to get the multi-meter out and buzz the system out. I soon discovered that where the cable attaches to a mouting tag on the rear screen it had become de-soldered. So armed with a gas powered soldering iron with a blow torch tip about 2mm diameter I re-tinned the tag and the wire and now it works a treat. :D
    So there you have it no more steamy windows.

Well folks this is me
    I am a programme manager (head of School in english) at a FE college which includes all the construction trades, manufacturing engineering and not forgetting a motor vehicle department with ramps and tuning equipment and soon to be added a rolling road.
    I am a mechanical engineer by trade having done a apprenticeship when they were 5 years long (not 3 weeks and you can call yourself and engineer).
    I have built and competed in several robot wars :twisted: and other such things but these days I am firmly focused on the 8.
    I do drive the car to work and the students seem to love it (although I also worry about potential scratches).

Well my air con needs re-gassing so thats the next thing to get done and then I can tick that off. I think I will measure my water level with a ruler(not leave it to eye) and check it again at the weekend. Although it has not been as bad the last couple of days?

Stand on any street
    On any day
    and you can bet it won't be long before you see a 5 series (it may not be an Alpine)

But standing on the same street
    On any day

and you can what a long time to see an 8 series and thats just another reason to smile :D

Don't do it.

Having just depressed (pumped) the pedal approximately 50 time the level settle at 24mm below the rim (without the wire filter in place). The manual does say about 20mm so for now I will just monitor it as see how it goes.

Reading this thread I thought I would check my level and I soon descovered that it is about 45mm below the upper rim. The handbook said the level should be 200mm below the rim once you have pumped the pedal approx ten time. I intend to sort this this weekend however to raise the level to within 20mm of the rim will mean that the wire filter will be below the surface which I believe to also be right. I intend to go to BMW for the oil today. I will let you know if it makes any differance althought I am not experiencing any issues yet (only driven the car a couple of hundred miles since buying it in October).

Cheers folks.
    I plan to arrive between 7-7.30 and have a bite to eat. It will be good to see some other 8's hopefully. See you monday night. P.S I wil be in my black J plate 850i.

Thanks for the advice. i think I will firstly get the Air con regassed then take it from there. I am not sure were to look for the condenser drip hole although it seems to be more than just water ( its a bugger to wipe off). :cry:

Has anyone or does anyone go to the german car nights (last monday of the month) at the Ace Cafe on the north circular? Or is there another meeting place?

My wife bought me some off ebay with the logo removed. They are alright but there is now substitute for quality and lets face it 8's are quality

As a new owner trying to sort out the new love of his life (just don't tell the wife) I have a couple of more questions

The front screen steams up regularly in the morning or when left for a few hours is this likely to be caused by the fact that the air con needs re-gassing? or is it a separate problem?

Also i discovered last night when trying to find out why the rear screen was not working that one of the contacts on the drivers side had come off! Can this be re-connected / soldered on?

If so how can the electrical continuity be checked?

Any idea of where its been posted? Terry can you help? :roll:
    I have however sorted the boot lighting problem, it was the switch in the boot lid just need re-fitting so that it made better contact.

Hi all

Looking at the fuses in the boot of my 850i I discovered a blown fuse 7.5a but I am not sure what it does :oops: . Can anyone let me know how to obtain a image with a list etc. The box under the bonnet has a key / guide but the boot does not. Also the interia boot light does not work? Are they related??????

Thanks for the info and you are right the way to go is to use a sub. You have identified the original speaker part number but what was ther physical size 4inch, 5 inch 5x9inch etc. Sorry to sound a bit thick but it will speed up the buying process. :?