Beiträge von wpo750

There's another 8 parked in one of the car parks within my complex but I've never seen it in motion. There's a violet shade Sport I pass en route to work on an R reg plate and it's parked on a nervously tight one way street. So I do see them, just rarely being driven.

BMW will only farm it out to an 'approved' paint shop anyway so I'd be tempted to find a well facilitated paint shop to avoid the BMW premium.

Even through BMW they may encounter issues matching the new panel to the rest of the roof due to age and wear etc. Perhaps get a quote for having the roof blown over to match?

I got back into the 8 this afternoon having driven it earlier and noticed that the speedo clocks were dead! The instrument dials are all inoperative but the dash illumination still comes on when the lights are flicked on and the indicator flashers work too.

I tried turning the car off and back on again in hope that it was a momentary glitch but alas no. The airbag, warning and check lights come on with the ignition but the odometer reading is totally blank too.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I hope it's a simple fix!

Thanks

Zitat von Benji 840Ci Sport;62739

theyre not too expensive...ive spent more on wheels trust me! These BBS are about 2k....which i think is a decent price...

but yes i do love it and costs dont really come into it with my 8...its been cherished all its life and i will continue the theme.

BBS RS here we come...in a bit when the cash is ready lol :harhar:

That's the spirit! :top:

Polished dishes look so much nicer than lacquered but it comes with labour intensive upkeep. But seeing as they will be your summer rims I doubt you'll have much bother.

Since refurbing my OEM BBS rims last summer they look tatty again but I chose to strip the lacquer and go down the polished route. A few outings during winter months was enough to destroy the finish on them so I'll be attempting another DIY refurb sometime soon and I'll be treating them to a shiny set of bolts too! :cool:

When I saw the first picture at the beginning of the thread I thought someone had taken a picture of my car! With the BBSs on it's is identical :cool: I've not seen another Royal Red since getting mine. Individual Champagne interior? What year is it?

Looks great with the Alpinas! No more wondering from me...

Hey Argonaut, my bulbs actually arrived today via Special Delivery after I emailed them on Sunday to complain for the third time and I received a prompt reply:

"really sorry about that. Cant find anything to say we have sent it. We have them in stock so unsure why they have not been sent. I will send them tommorrow special delivery so you should recieve them Weds. Please let us know if you experience any other problems"

I've laid the 8 up for the week whilst we encounter dodgy weather so I probably won't get the chance to fit them until the weekend. They look pretty funky though...

Zitat von Argonaut;58894

still waiting for my lamps from the 'bay, apparently sent a week ago. Must be Slug Express Service.

Same here! I think I ordered mine a few days after you too so perhaps I'll get mine for February?

Thanks for that Koizumi, I've already ordered a set of those faux xenon 21W bulbs from ebay and I'll give them a go first.

Those PIAA bulbs look good but they're not available in the UK and US ebay sellers want over £20 just for shipping! Still, I may have to resort to them if my next attempt turns out to be a duff move.

A trustworthy brand but are there any risks running 27/8w?

Zitat von Argonaut;58289

I bought some of these lamps yesterday so once they've arrived I'll report back on the fit, quality and colour. They should fit as they are standard 1157 pattern.

BTW, you asked the question as to why there are two filaments but only one is used? The answer is Daytime Running Lamps as required in (for example) Scandinavia. If you take the connector apart, underneath the electical sealant gunk you will find another terminal that's not connected in our installations. The 8er.ch technical modifications section contains details of this, I don't know though whether you have access to this.

Cheers,
    Jason

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jason! Let us know how you get on with those bulbs too.

Zitat von E31Gill;58154

Ditto, I already went down that route. I got fed up of failing LEDs which caused individual LEDs to flicker. I went back to standard bulbs after just 2 months. I look forward to finding out how effective the ebay bulbs are

Ah I see, that's why my near side bulb flickers (even when my side lights aren't turned on).

I haven't purchased those ebay bulbs as of yet, I need to know if they fit first!

I'm glad you agree Paul, I didn't want to be the one that said it but I too think they look a bit 'chavvy' having had them on my car for about 6 months. It wouldn't be so bad if they omitted a whiter light but the blue tint through the smoked lenses looks a bit too Ripspeed for my liking. It would look more cohesive if I had opted for 6000k HIDs but my OEM approach with the 4300Ks renders the LEDs a bit of a no go imo.

So I need to get some replacement 21/5W bulbs with the offset pins? Surely there must be alternative!

Also, why do we need dual filament for the sidelights and would they be on the 'low' or 'high' setting when in use up front?

For a while now I've thought that the LED bulbs in my sidelights have clashed with the colour output from my 4300k HIDs and I never did get round to the resistor mod so I've decided to go back to a 'standard' bulb.

Does anyone know of a decent bulb upgrade for the sidelights without going down the LED route?

I'd like to order them online today so can anyone tell me the bulb specs? I've completely forgotten what they are but I know for a fact they're not 501s as stated on numerous vendors.

Thanks

I've recently encountered a mild case of overheating whilst the blowers are on. There doesn't seem to be any hot air coming from the system either. I'll eek out a blast of hot air if I give it a bootful of revs but it soon dissipates.

I've worked out that if I drive with the hvac unit switched off it doesn't seem to overheat but I haven't tried sitting in traffic for long periods to test this theory.

Has anyone encountered this before and any suggestions as to what to do next?

Thanks

I've got all the hardware lying around but haven't got round to sorting out the software. Glad you got it up and running, looks especially tarty via the car PC :cool:

Thanks Tony, I will have a bash at this as soon as the bulbs arrive. I wasn't going to bother but the sidelights are a real let down especially after fitting HIDs!