Beiträge von wpo750

Update on the seat situation: I purchased a new lever for the driver side and had a go at replacing it yesterday. I immediately realised how fiddly it was to separate the head rest elbow without chewing up the plastic with my flat blade in the process.

Following in the guide on E31 FAQ was simple enough and I managed to remove the lever only to find that I already had the reinforced version! ('tis a 99 model I guess) This lead to further investigation and I removed the seat back for a poke around. What I've noticed is that no matter how much pressure I exert on the actuating arm it won't pull the cables through and I reckon that the problem lies at the other end of the seat cables.

Can anyone confirm that the end of the bowden cables are situated underneath the seat base?

With the seat back off it gave me an opportunity to familiarise myself with the electric motors and gearboxes prepping myself for 'surgery' on the height adjuster. Am I right in thinking that the motor for this action is also underneath the seat therefore requiring me to remove the seat from within the car in order to rectify?

Also, do I need to disconnect the batteries prior to seat removal so as not to set off the airbag light?

Thanks! :D

Zitat von keenan

I do like the Alpina rims myself however I have to admit that I like to keep to the original throwing star alloys (the up-to-date ones!) - I think they give the 8 a real nice sport(ier!) :D Just my pennies worth!

I didn't realise there were different versions of the throwing stars! How do they differ?

I don't know, what's not to like? :D Picture courtesy of some guy who's been trying to sell his 8 for the best part of the year...

I just tried the method of pushing the tilt button briefly and whilst it does bring it level with the roof line I can't help but feel that it's not closed properly(?) I assume you've never had any problems by doing this?

@ Wayne - Those rims are simply stunning and to tell you the truth I've been hunting for a set for as long as I've been looking for the ideal 8!

Now that I've bought the car I'm a bit strapped this month (and for the foreseeable future at a guess :lol: ) but I'm quite ashamed of the state of split rims so I'm looking for a quickish fix.

No doubt, if a set of original Alpinas popped up for sale I'd gladly sell a kidney to have them...

My BBS splitties are in need of a refurb and I intend on doing it myself at a leisurely pace. I'm a real fan of the rims and I'll probably only intend to use them during the summer once completed. I'm not going to lacquer the dishes and will opt for polishing and waxing on a regular basis instead.

This leads me to my next question (and there will be many more to come no doubt...). What are the favored styles amongst you and what are the options regarding fitment?

I know someone who has a set of 18" M Parallel replicas shod with decent rubber. They're staggered 8.5 and 9.5 for the rears and they were previously on a 530 sport. Will these fit and fill the arches respectfully?

I'm not a great fan of replica wheels but one has to consider budget (having just purchased the car) and that these should be part time wheels. They're not bad to look at if a little 'flat faced' compared to the originals.

I'm not obliged to purchase them and thought I would consider other viable options.

Any suggestions? Pics wouldn't go amiss either :wink:

Zitat von Wildatheart

Have you tried briefly pushing the sunroof button in (as opposed to sliding it up or down)? That always fixes it for me.

I will give that a go, thanks. That's something along the lines of a re-sync is it not?

Me again :lol:

I thought I'd start another thread as I didn't want to turn the other one into an entire list of my problems, at least this way it may prove a useful reference for others...

I've noticed that my sunroof doesn't sit flush and it dips slightly towards the rear of the car. The leading edge is fine but it probably slopes by a couple of mm as it meets the rear.

Is there any way of adjusting this?

TIA :D

Hello everyone, after many months of research I have finally joined the fold and purchased myself a 1999 840ci Sport Individual in Royal Red with Champagne nappa interior. I've only just stopped driving it and I'm slowly wiping the grin off my face in order to focus on a couple of niggles that need attention.

The driver seat electrics all work apart from the seat height adjustment. When the switch is pressed you can hear the motor whirring but no movement! Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Also, unsure if it's related but the driver seat won't fold forward. The lever on the side feels jammed and I can't pull it up. Once again, anyone offer any pearls of wisdom on this?

Mechanically the car feels solid and it needs a bit of correction on the paint as it was covered in bird poo and tree sap and after washing it I can see all the imperfections. This will all get sorted in the very near future.

Last thing to note, there appears to be a small amount of play in the steering when you jolt the wheel from left to right. It feels fine to drive but I'm wondering if there's anything I need to pay attention to?

Thanks for your time and I'll be posting up pictures as soon as I've had time to at least clay and wax the car! :D

Zitat von Revtor

The BMW Radio Navigation (BMW # 65 90 0 393 718) is used in many BMW cars. Here's a list of BMW cars that had the Indianapolis as option: BMW Radio Navigation Indianapolis @ bmwfans.info

The unit is still available from BMW, but mind that it's a lot more expensive than its Becker brethren. I guess you pay for the "BMW" text on the faccia. I got my Indianapolis and Traffic Pro units from eBay instead. If you have patience, you can do excellent deals on eBay. The units I got were new (still in original packing) or barely used without usage traces... and I paid less than half of what BMW would charge.

Nice work on the inversion Revtor, I've seen people make a right hash of that...

The BMW Becker units can be had on ebay for bargain prices and the bonus being that their illumination matches the cockpit lighting perfectly (funnily enough). I have a Traffic Pro in my e36 and I really like the cohesive looks of it, plus it's surprisingly accurate and you can't beat the OEM stylee verbal instructions over the music.