Seat height adjustment fail ( short wire )

• Hi

Trying to search the forum for this as I have seen a DYI with pix before but can't find it again:hmmmm:
    I removed my front set yesterday to fix this problem :banghead: ( only one side rising ) due to wire beeing to short.

But need a couple of pix as I wonder if there is some small parts missing here?
    Anyone that can point me to a DYI or something with pictures :mrgreen:

Regards
    Terje

• Contrary to what most people feel is an explanation - cable sheath lengthening - it is my belief that all that needs to be done is readjust the bowden cable.
    In earlier times, after pulling the cable we removed the crimped on metal end piece of the sheath by heating it with a lighter (or other heat source), cut the plastic sheath by 1cm, reheated the metal end piece and pushed it back on. You then reinsert the cable into the sheath and make sure that the square end locks in place in the gear. You should have around 1-2cm cable protruding which then goes into the motor end.
    Parts I remember: 2 metal plates going left and right of the rubber. 2 metal bushings sitting in the holes of the rubber. 1 plastic insert capping the metal end piece.

In one of my cars the symptoms reappeared after a couple of years. More lengthening? I did not think so. All that I did and have done ever since is basically pull out the square end from the gears, reinsert it in such a way that enough of the cable protrudes to lock in the motor.

In essence my theory is that the cable is free to move and over time pushes either into the motor housing or into the gears and out of the opposite end.

Time to fix: 30 minutes including beer and a pinball game ;)

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Thanks I found out the hard way yesterday that this could be done without taking the seat out , remiond me to look at the manual and forums first :harhar:
    It was tricky to say it mildly taking the seat out while beeing in the most lovered position.

I have already shortened the plastic with about 10-12 mm and I think you just ansvered my question and that's why I needed a few pix*s
    One side has 2 plates and bushings , the other only one and no bushings ,I believe someone in the past has done something here and probably just pushed the wire back in again leading it to work for some more years.
    Need to find a solution to the missing parts as well then as they are the ones holding the end metal pice in place on the motor I belive

Parts I remember: 2 metal plates going left and right of the rubber. 2 metal bushings sitting in the holes of the rubber

I will take a few pictures later today

Regards
    Terje

• Zitat von reinhard;109132

Isn´t it funny how we sometimes revert to talking about oneself as an imaginary 3rd person... :whistle:

:aetsch:
    Reinhard

Ha ha :mrgreen-angel: not me this time , but I have a old recipt from a BMW dealer in Germany where they claim to have fixed the seat and with a rather huge bill.
    Wonder if they misplaced a few parts.

Regards
    Terje

• Some pix , seat ready to be installed again
    And working :top:

Next time I will read the manual and forums first as i could have avoided some time taking out the seat while beeing in the lowest position ( not recommeded )
    You can fix this without removing the seat , you can run the motor with a 12v source if nessesary to lift ( if having an electrical failure ) and then "easily" remove the seat.
    You can even take out the motor and run the two wires manually to lift the seat..

Anyway a few pix

Parts missing and brass tube to be made into bushings
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21508/

Hole drilled out with an electric drill, damn good if I may say so to almost get the hole in the middle :harhar:
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21509/

Cable without metal end sheet , rubber shortened with about 12mm and wire completely pusched in to the end
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21510/

metal end sheet put back on , and glued
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21511/

Motor and wire put back in place , with mods due to missing parts , and a hose clamp to make sure they dont part.
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21512/

The big reward of taking out the seat :laugh:
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/21513/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!