Having problems with the starter.

• I have this one problem.
    I start the car and take it for a drive. Car get hot and then sometimes, not always when I turn it off, get some gas, try to start it again nothing happens.
    I have to wait for few min and the car starts.
    Sometimes I turn the key and hold it for 3 sec, then all of a sudden the starter turns.
    Maybe something is not sticking as I had the starter cable replaced with one from 8tech
    Other thing is I had the starter reconditioned and when I start the car I get this sound like the belt is slipping.
    Could that be the tensioner?

• IS it possible this could be the reason? When id does not start it only clicks, but does not turn.
    Taken from bimmers

Just went through this yesterday on Fern's 840. Solenoid click but the starter did not turn. Check for corrosion/high resistance on the thick battery (+) lead cable between the starter motor and the jumper port in the engine bay. With the key held in start position, you should get 12v to the larger stud of the two smaller terminals (Black/Green wire) on the starter motor and should hear the solenoid click indicating ignition switch, relays, and ignition mobilizer are OK. The starter motor draws a lot of current, hence the thick battery cable. Depending on battery voltages and atmospheric conditions, it may sometimes be able to "bite" through corrosion and poor connections, and other times not.

The belt ssound comes only when I start the car

• A "click" and then nothing is a classic symptom of either a knackered battery(ies) or a bad contact somewhere. The contact may be sufficient to run auxiliaries but not able to handle the current required for the starter motor. I would check all the of the terminal connections for each battery and the earth points and the starter itself - if you've recently had the starter changed it could be that the contact there isn't properly tight. The belt squeal on start up could be tensioner.

EDIT: something I forgot, the click could also be caused by a duff solenoid on the starter. When you try to start and you get the "click" - do the lights dim? (that's a sign of a bad connection struggling to handle the starter motor current load which would indicate that your problem is a bad contact somewhere).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!