Road Trip Redux -- Italy & the Amalfi Coast (cross post)

• This was last years trip -- a bit ad hoc, but thats not really unusual.
    I had planned to go south via Genoa, with an option to go down to Sorrento. Set off a bit later in the season than normal -- this was around late September, but the weather was holding and the light was beautiful. Exited the EuroTunnel and headed straight for Lyon -- not much traffic, and so I had a couple of 'windows go up' incidents. Concerned, i checked my satnav, only to discover that the most recent update had not included the "safety cameras" (speed cameras, by another name), and that I would have to fork out another ten quid for this information. Realising that I was already most of the way through France, I just thought I'd save the money and buy a lotto ticket, as I had certainly been a little on the lucky side for most of the previous day.
    With my new, more relaxed approach, I tagged onto the back of these three guys for a quite spirited run over the Chartreuse Massif, south of Lyon, early next morning -- they were in convoy, and so I didnt wish to disturb them. However, I did notice that experienced European drivers know exactly the ride height of their vehicles, and the allowable kerb height -- I obviously have neither the knowledge, or skill to drape my CSi nose anywhere near as close as they guys. Anyway, it was all going quite steathily well, until I started my car to depart, and it caused a few 'snapped necks' in the coffee area -- haha.

Headed down to the south coast, and hung out for a few days, then on to Rome -- decided to take the Autostrada, rather than the more scenic (but bone jarring) coast road. Used the ring road around Florence, on an early Saturday morning, and was tempted to press on a bit quickly. Passing me were two S-Class saloons (one model back from current), both black, both German registered, both single drivers, with suit bag hanging in the rear. So I figured they were two opera buffs, or similar. Takes about 30 seconds to realise these guys are either (a) very good, or (b) drive this bit of Autostrada quite regularly. I slot in behind them -- they are in convoy, never separated by more than one car, and super, super smooth -- Florence to Rome in under 2 hours. Top fun.
    Rome to Sorrento without incident, but then a couple of repeat performances from Sorrento to Salerno and return. Traction control on, stay in second and just listen to the Magnaflows !. I had to stop to take pictures, or I would have fallen off the edge!

More seriously, this part of the trip was made most brilliant by new Bilsteins all around, and front camber plates. No more of that stomach-swooping when landing in hollow bits of the road - this is as tight and controlled as I think the E31 can get. Mine now has pretty much all new suspension (incl. bushings front & rear) -- and whereas I used to be concerned when the AHK lit up (usually on the autoroutes), now I take it as a measure of my enthusiasm on the B-roads.
    Another great trip (think i ruined a set of tyres with my enthusiasm). Home via the Frijus Tunnel in the autumn -- magnificent.

Mileage -- quite a bit
    Fuel -- in Euros, cant be arsed with maths
    Thanks -- Gerry
    Fun -- heaps

Cheers
    Keith

• :top: Very nice! I love the Amalfitana!

http://www.campaniameteo.it/dettaglio_webcam.php?webcam=862

Even if we "lost" :roll:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

two cars there in the 1980s, one Golf convertible and a MB 300E...

Herzliche Grüße/ best regards

Harry! :winkwink:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!