Changing the center tie rod - help needed

• Hi,

When changing the center tie rod, 32211138866, I faced a somewhat unexpected issue that I hope someone can help clear up.:hmmmm:

On the center tie rod there is two ball joints, one normal "loose" and one more fixed / tight.

I was expecting that the normal would go with the Pitman arm (#10) for the steering box, and the fixed with the steering arm (#14)(to the right on a left hand car like mine)

However on the part that I have got it is opposite, i.e. the fixed ball joint is to the left with the Pitman arm / steering box.

The part is a Optimal G4-862, that are intended for left hand cars - in the spec. they specify that this part is only for left hand cars - actual, from what I can find, think that Optimal do not even make this part for right hand cars!

Have I misunderstood something, or is there perhaps an error with the part that I have received!

Since both genuine BMW parts and Optimal specify that this part is different for right and left hand cars, there must be a reason for the two different ball joints, and where they fit.

Help / comments highly appreciated :kiss:

/Bo

• Interesting. Looking at your photo and the diagram in realoem, I would have thought the tierod is the same whether the car is RHD or LHD. The two ball joints should have the same resistance when new. If you look at part no: 32211138867 (on my car a RHD) then this is fitted to a wide range of variants:
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/41247/

If I lookup your part number it only shows it listed for one variant:
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/41248/

Not sure this helps.

• Thanks for comment, however I'm still equal confused.:hmmmm:

If you on your lookup for 32211138866 click the E31 result, it will open with the same cars as for 32211138867, and if you click a LHD, e.g. EG11 it will show 32211138866 and for a RHD, e.g. EG12 it will show 32211138867, i.e. different part for LHD and RHD.

In my mind BMW must have had a reason for manufacturing two different parts, but it has not been possible for me to find any info regarding that, only I am rather sure that one of the ball joints should be more tight than normal.

Reason for my confusion is mainly that the part I removed, which seem to be the original 1991 from TRW, have the tight ball joint to the right with the steering arm, where the new part is opposite, but of course BMW could also have made that change when they discontinued the original part 32 21 1 138 856.

Have to send the car for wheel alignment, and obvious would like to be sure that the part is correct before that.:harhar:

/Bo

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!