EDC Malfunction Update

• My 840 was in the stealers at the weekend to find the cause of the Electronic Damper Control malfunction. The light on the centre console comes on at start up but no longer illuminates whilst i'm driving and therefore doesn't allow me to change the ride comfort manually and the car is pemanantly in sport mode.

The dealers reported that the shock absorbers are fine(phew!!) and the problem is the acceleration/speed sensor. They quoted me £300 for the replacement sensor! Has anyone else replaced this part? Can it be repaired rather than replaced? Please help.

Baggio

• First, I don't have EDC on my particular car, so this is all theory.
    Here's a schematic of the EDC system:

The accelerometers are 2, 4, and 7 in the above diagram. IIRC, the front one (2) is mounted on the underside of the right wheel well (behind the well liner) and senses front lateral acceleration, (4) is the rear lateral acceleration sensor and is mounted in the right rear of the trunk next to the EGS controller, and (7) front/back acceleration and is mounted in the forward part of the jack storage fitting the left trunk. If your mechanic is correct (I'm always skeptical of electrical diagnoses), then replacement shouldn't be too tough for somebody with decent mechanical skills.

I'd also double-check the connectors on the EDC controller in the trunk on the right side.

I doubt the sensors can be repaired.

I'd stop by your dealer's parts counter and determine the price of an sensor over the counter and determine if it's cost effective to replace.

Mark

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!