Service records of my 840

• Offizieller Beitrag

BACKGROUND - The 840 was purchase off a car lot (July 2004) which had all its service records, manual, documentation lifted when it went through auction --- thus I was really starting from scratch without a clue on any of the prior owerns or vehicle history. Here's what I did.

1. I obtained a CarFax which gave me a history on the vehicle's registration, location of ownership (all in Orange Co., California), number of owners (no name but the city where the car was registered), and periodic life history of mileage. Also, any accident, salvage, flood damage events (no thank goodness). These records were helpful for me to determine the vehicle had a history of about 12K to 15K every year of driving (a sitting car is not good in my opinion), two prior owners, the registration address, the length of their ownership, and the status of the title.

2. A BMW dealership "pre-purchase" inspection was paid for and this allowed me, amongst other things like verifying the Nikisil/Alusil block change had occured at 74,000 miles) to have the dealership check BMW's national database. Helpful as this provided clear evidence the first owner was a three year lease and identified the leasing BMW dealership.

Also learned about recalls, whether they had been done, and mileage/date for each of the service events.

3. Went to the leasing BMW dealership and obtained the first three years of service records done on the 840. These records only are retained by the dealership. By this juncture it became likely the second owner had the 840 serviced at an independent dealer (there are dozen and dozens of them in the LA area).

4. OK, I've got the first three years, and know there had been only one other owner ... so now the hunt begins. I approached a police officer at a coffee shop explaining my circumstances and needs seeking advise on how to contact the second owner (hint - motorcycle officers are more liley to be car enthusiasts). I learned (in California) I needed to go to the Department of Motor Vehicle and obtain a form, pay a $5.00 fee, mail to the State Capitol, and wait a month for the answer --- the name of the second owner (already had his address).

5. Once I got the second owner's name, obtained his telephone number from the phone company and called him. It took several calls over two weeks for him to return my call. Once I explained I was very happy with the 840 and all I needed to know was the name(s) of where he had the car serviced, he told me. I finished the conversation getting his permission to obtain the records (he agreed).

6. Called the independent service provider, and after several days of getting the prior (2nd) owner to give his verbal OK, the service records were faxed to me. Bingo!

Once I had the complete service records/documentaiton, the whole history of the 840 became clear and my confidence climbed.

Hope this is helpful.

Jim Edmondson

Thousand Oaks, CA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!