Steering box slack adjustment

• Offizieller Beitrag

How the steering box slack adjustment can be so mechanically simple to do and so physically a pain in the rear to accomplish is beyond me. Not one of BMWs finest placements for work. With that aside, first the simple explanation and then what I had to do to do it.

Once over lightly:

1. Remove the aluminum heat shield on the steering box (2 bolts with washers).

2. Identify 17mm locking bolt with small allen screw in center and loosen 1/4 turn.

3. Jack up front of car so that tires are clear of the ground.

4. Turn ignition key to release steering lock and it's helpful to lower the driver's window.

5. Tighten the allen screw (you might need a mirror to see it) a little bit at a time with the steering wheel turned a little until you feel a SLIGHT increase in resistance as you turn the steering wheel from left to right through center. This requires a light touch. You should only feel this increase in resistance as the steering wheel passes through the centered or straight ahead position. You only have to do a 1/4 turn left and right of the steering wheel to feel this in your fingertips.

If you feel a lot of increase as the steering wheel is moved through center, back off the allen a little until you only feel a little.

6. Tighten 17mm locking nut. Recheck the steering wheel to see if you can still feel that resistance increase at center. If not repeat steps 5 & 6 until satisfied.

7. Re-install aluminum heat shield, lower car off of jack, wash you hands and pat yourself on the back.

It is step 2 that is the biggest pain to do since my hand could not get any leverage down there and it was on too tight. My solution was to use a 17mm shorty combo wrench to engage the locking nut, and to engage the shorty, I used a 17mm Allen on a 3/8 drive with a 18" extension to break it loose. When I tightened it after finishing the adjustment I just used my hand on the 17mm shorty.

Roger in Mt Airy (MD)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!