My new 93 850 Ci

• Mike

The fronts on an 8 wear faster because they don't have enough camber adjustment from the factory. If you flog them the outer edge of the tread frays quickly.

The rears have it a bit easier with more camber and not enough horsepower to hurt them badly.

The shutdown sequence on an 8 can take up to 15 minutes. But the heater fan should shut off with the key. Push the TIMER button on the OBD and see if it says ventilation off. If it doesn't then one of the vent timers may be on. Usually the bright led in the timer button is on if autoventing is activated.

If you look in thru the windows, the odometer display is the last thing to go off. Should be off in less than a half hour max. Opening doors or the trunk starts the wake up.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Terry,

Do we have a proper figure for the front camber adjustment? I will be having the tires aligned once the wheels arrive and are installed- seems a good time to correct for this problem.

I'll try the timer button thingy- but I have a very tough time reading the screen. I do know that the Auto setting is what I primarily use...since it's rarely warm enough here to warrent AC. lol

Thats good to know about the shut down timing.

Maybe I need to invest in the new computer screen. Even if it eventually goes out again...at least i'll know some of the issues going on with the basic operation of my car.

Great information, again, from everyone. I really like this list!!!

Thanks

Mike B

• http://www.e31faq.com/Default.aspx?catId=93 Browse section 62

Item #4 BMW replacement of the MID-- Don't ask the dealer!! Call BMWNA

Camber is "All they can get" With adjustable camber plates everyone is running at -1.5 degrees or more. Factory spec is -.2 and that eats tires if you like turning corners.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Here is a copy of BMWNA's response to my request for a replacement computer screen.

If they reject my request- do I have any recourse? Anything I should mention to them in the event that they call me?

"Dear Mr. Blain:

Thank you for your response. Your information has been forwarded to a special department for review.

A representative will be contacting you within 2-3 business days. We appreciate your patience in the interim.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Melissa DiMaria
    Customer Relations and Services
    Representative"

• Sounds to me like they think you are making a warranty claim. Maybe they think an 850 is a new model!

Having said that I've taken my car to the local dealer on occasion (it's a 1993 model) and they've fixed things and not charged: once an electrical fault that took them 4 hours to hunt down, and a couple of smaller things. Maybe they'll just send you one. How good would that be??!!

• The response seems legitimate.

And it is a Warranty claim of sorts. Something about Saftey equipment :)

BMWNA should offer half of the cost and you pay the dealer 1/2 hour max to install first. Some of us have held out for all of the cost of the MID and won.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!