radiator gunk???

• My 93 ci began spewing crap from near the NEW secondary water pump last night. I drove her home and then checked the radiator fluid level this morning. There is a brown oily gunk in there that does not mix with water at all. Is it possible that I may have oil backing into my antifreeze? Or perhaps the PO accidentally put oil into the wrong area. Anyway- I still have a gunked out radiator, and a leak somewhere back by the drivers side firewall- which didnt seem to spew out untill things got REALLY hot from aggressive driving.

MikeB

• The heater control valves are the other coolant related parts located by the aux pump. About 4 more hose connections worth.

You need to get the gunk out of the coolant systm.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks Terry,

The 8 is going under the knife again tommorrow to remove the crap from the cooling system. I'll have them refill her with just water, and watch for anymore seepage of oil. If there is more- then I assume I have a head gasket leak. ?

anyone have this problem before? Is it difficult to replace the head gaskets in an 850? costs?

• You need some anti freeze for the water pump lubricant. Just do Prestone or the like.

Head gasket changes have been mentioned by several owners but I have no idea of the cost.
    Check the banjo bolts when the valve covers are off. and the intake gaskets get resealed as part of the reassembly. All of the gas lines on top (4) and behind the engine (2) are exposed for replacement.

That is three Must Do jobs completed with almost no additional labor as part of the head gasket job :D

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• OK
    here was todays huge scare.

dropped the car off at the radiator shop for a good thorough flushing. Went to pick her up this afternoon, and recieved word that they didnt do the service because:
    1) oil in the radiator
    2) analysis of the tank read as obscene amounts of feul dumping into the radiator.

WHAT!!! That means head gasket or worse-----cracked head. I made them redo the sniffer analysis while I watched. they did...and I watched them open the broken wiper fluid tank, and take the reading. It read high......because it was getting the alcohol fumes from the residual wiper fluid. DUH. I corrected them on this, they then read the fumes directly from the radiator which read slightly high due to the oil in the system.
    So they are now doing the flush as I directed them, and I will see what happens. I did notice that my oil level had not dropped at all from where I filled it too. but the quantity of oil in the radiator is such that it definatley would have dropped by several quarts......MY first assumption on this radiator problem is that the previous owners teenage son- accidentaly filled the radiator with oil thinking it was the oil filler cap- complete with bobbing level indicator. I bet this is what happened......It's the only thing that makes sense. I would suspect that i would have major check engine lights if I had a gasket problem or a cracked head.... I do not have any check engine lights.....but the obc does want me to set the damn clock. lol

opinions wanted......

MIke B

• THREE DAYS of flushing the system with cascade detergent at the radiator shop and the gunk is still slowly removing itself from the various internal parts.

The shop did a wonderful job- and they concur that it is most probable the PO put oil into the radiator thinking it was the oil filler cap. Based on the amount of oil they flushed.

Currently the water is clear but little beads of oil still float to the top where I can get at them with a turkey baster. The car goes back in after 500-600 miles of driving for a re-flush. Cost so far 86 usd. best deal yet on expenditures. :^)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!