coolant wont circulate thru engine. overheats

• hi,
    just bought a 91 850i. While warming it up in my driveway, the lower radiator hose ruptured and spilled all the antifreeze out. I replaced the hose and refilled the antifreeze.. but the thermostat wont open and The engine overheats. should i replace the thermostat.( i already bought it just in case...) the autoparts guy told me there is a special way to reintroduce the coolant into the system.. any help would be appreciated... I just want to fix it so I can drive it to the bmw dealership to have the heater core replaced(OUCH!!!! 1400 bucks)

• Yes, replace the thermostat as preventative maintenance. These things are prone to actually breaking into 2 or more pieces and parts get caught in the impeller.
    Bleeding the air out of the system is tricky but becomes much easier if you elevate the nose of the car as high as possible and follow the procedure found on http://www.e31faq.com under
    Engine - 10
    17-Rad
    Item #1

Do not ever let the car overheat. Very bad (expensive) things can and will happen if you do.

• Also, heater core replacement is an easy but intimidating job that a competent D-I-Y'er can do at home. Did one last summer on a 91. With heat (July in Santa Rosa Ca) and lack of ambition, it took us 3 days but could likely be done in 12 hours or so.
    Again, see http://www.e31faq.com
    Electronics - 60
    64 - Climate
    Item #1
    For more info...

Where are you located?

• im in NJ... replaced the thermostat and I am up and running... good news is that the heater core may not be the problem. But we will have to wait and see what the diagnostic test says. I have heard horror stories about bmw dealer service centers...I am sure I will get ripped off.. i will run it by this site b4 i pay for anything.
    Thanks for the help

• im in NJ... replaced the thermostat and I am up and running... good news is that the heater core may not be the problem. But we will have to wait and see what the diagnostic test says. I have heard horror stories about bmw dealer service centers...I am sure I will get ripped off.. i will run it by this site b4 i pay for anything.
    Thanks for the help

• on the heater core note...

i have always had good heat come from the system however it is readily apparent wjen the car warms up enough to produce heat in the cab; there is a gurggling noise that comes from the console, presumably when the thermo opens up enough to circulate hot H2O through the core. does anyon else experience this and is this a sign of a core in need of replacement?

KrisD

1991 850i Automatic Alpine White - Grey interior, AC Schnitzer Body Kit, M Parallel Silver Wheels, Remus Exhaust

• Generally a sign of low coolant and air in the system. Check coolant level when cold, add coolant as necessary. Recheck coolant again when cold over the next few days and top up (to the recommended level).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!