Autobox fluid leak or just overfilled???

• Ive got a drip from under my '91 850i at the very back of the autobox where the prop joins the box itself.
    On a long, fast run I get a little smoke and the usual burning smell but if I only use the car around town I dont get the smell or the leak although the back of the box and the exhausts are still wet with fluid.

Ive asked around and the general consensus is that the output shaft oil seal has gone but before I start tearing the exhausts/prop/heat shield off (again!!) a quick thought occurred to me, IF the auto box has too much fluid in it would it throw out the excess from the breather on top of the box, but only on a high speed run, or would it pop the output seal anyway.

Ive checked the fluid level today, after a 6 mile run with the car still idling and it was over the top of the plastic end on the dipstick much less between the markers!!!!!!

I guess I'll try to drain a half litre off and clean up the area then go on a fast run and if I get smoke then the seal is a gonna.

Any other thoughts or should I just get the tool box out and change the seal anyway?????

• Hi Rob,
    If it's on level ground, with the engine running in park with everything nice and warmed up it shouldn't be over the top blob on the stick.
    If it is drain it to the point that it's between the blob marks and see how you go.
    It should be alright once the level's set correctly but oil leaks kind of get a memory and once you've deleveloped a leak you may need to replace the rear seal to sort it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!