Help! My 840 Indi suspension!

• Hi all, I am a new user to the forums, indeed to the site, and I hope to be quite prolific ;) so please be gentle the first time!

On my '98 840 individual, when I go over a rough surface, usually at reasonably low speed, say, under 50mph, I can hear a rumbling sound from the driver's wheel. the front seems a bit soft as well, as it rises and falls a little too much at the front end, a bit like my Jag E-type (concerning!)

I put the car up on the ramp, and found that there was some give in the driver's wheel when you lifted it (I'm assuming a new shock needed?)

Spoke to BMW, a grand total of £1,104.03 for two new front struts (apparently sealed, no inserts allowed)! I know parts ain't cheap, but still! :shock:

In any case, I've been doing some digging about online and on the forums, and apparently you can change the insert for a bilstein sports insert (same as that on the csi).

Just wanting thoughts from anyone who has done this on a 840 sport, or any advice offered is most welcome before I open my chequebook at good old BMW! :top:

Cheers!

------------------------------------------
    BMW 840ci Sport Invididual 1997
    Land Rover Freelander HSE Td4 2004
    Maserati Shamal 1996

• Hi and welcome aboard....

Start here for the inserts.... I got mine from him. About 5 days delivery....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors…uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Even with import duty and tax it works out quite cheaper....

The worst part of the job is removing the castle nut on top. I tried to turn it for a little while then gave up and cut it off!!

Hope this helps and you are obliged by rule '8' :laugh: to post copious amounts of pictures of your ride in a new thread.... :top:

• Hey thanks for the reply Schnitz! I've saved that page on eBay to the favs folder!

Because....

Well, I've had a chat with a v. helpful mechanic(!) and he has said it might not be the shocks, as they have about an inch play on them when they are hanging free (obv. because they aren't designed to be driven like that..unless it sheds about 2 tons!)

I've been told to get the thrust arm bushes changed and the anti-roll bar drop links done, which will get done next week before changing the inserts.

I forgot to say that the weird rumbling/bouncing noise isn't present when setting off, only after driving for about 30 mins (and then only over rough surface). its like hearing a tin dustbin rolling down a hill very far away (great analogy eh? ;))

I'll get pics sorted of the 8 ASAP, its a Canyon Deep Red Metallic with touchstone white leather piped red, all black headlining, tan dashboard, etc. Looks pretty sweet :)

I'll be at Gaydon in August, should be cool!

Maserati Shamal 1996

• Hi Guys,

I had the inserts changed in the front with bilstein, and camberplates.

the improvement is beyond description! thanks to all for their help!

:)

Maserati Shamal 1996

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!