Starter problems

• It the engine is nice and hot (not overheated) after a good drive and I switch the engine of, the starter will not engage to start the engine.
    I only hear a slight nock when I release the starter switch.
    I have to wait for a while, lets say 15 min and than the starter will turn again.
    this happened the last few times. May be the fault is existing longer but I only did not notice it
    Anybody has an idea how to proceed or what to check for or had the same problem
    Helmut0209 Durban
    :help: :help: :help: :help:

• Hi Balbo01 & Steve840

I was thinking about that but too, but put in mind that the starter works fine everytime, only when the engine is really hot the solenoid will not push in
    Helmut0209
    :banghead:

• Hi Mike & Steve

I was considering this also, but bear in mind that the starter works fine all the time and only does not want to engage when the engine is hot, lets say after an hour drive
    Helmut

• All I can suggest is that the heat element is opening and closing a broken/loose contact due to heat expansion and contraction.

Where this broken/loose contact lies is anyones guess but I would imagine somewhere inside the starter, the brushes or the armature itself.

The normal checks of battery, engine earth etc. are not really associated with heat so it does kind of suggest starter assembly - due to the proximity of the heat source.

Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

• Zitat von helmut0209;75237

I was considering this also, but bear in mind that the starter works fine all the time and only does not want to engage when the engine is hot, lets say after an hour drive
    Helmut

That makes no difference:grin2:A new starter is what you need.

I replaced mine after many months of asking questions like you, but only after being very embarrassed, I boarded the Car Ferry over to Calais, 1.5 hours later the shores of France await, I wait in line ready for the signal to start engines??!! you guessed starter no workie:oops: eventually all the cars left the Ferry & I got towed Off & sat on the dock side:oops::oops: out of simple desperation I turned the key !! you guessed ? power & starter workie.

After 2 days of driving I made it back home [almost] then I stopped for Petrol /Rest at the M5 service station after 45 mins ,went to the car & starter no F**king workie!!! this time I needed to wait a good hour before trying again & off I went.

I am told that the start solenoid sticks when things get hot,so when it cools down away you go.

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• sorry for the trouble, that shows you should not go to France:winkwink:
    But serious, your explanation sounds good. I will check it out and let you know. Thanks and have a good time
    Helmut

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!