Brake Light Failure

• Hello folks,

I have been having an issue with my passenger side rear brake light. At first the computer alerted me that it had failed so I checked the bulb and it was indeed blown. I changed out the bulb a couple of weeks later (once I got around to it) and all was well for around two weeks.

Now, the alert has come back and my brake light is not working again. I have checked the bulb and all is fine and even tried a few different bulbs but all with the same result.

Could there possibly be a faulty connection between the bulb holder and socket? Has anyone experienced something similar before?

Thanks

• You need to see if you are getting the signal from the car loom to the lamp cluster, then if so, check the terminals on the bulb holder itself.

Should be pretty easy to find it as you know the pedal switch and wiring is ok for the other side to work. Most likely cause is the bulbholder terminals corroded where they contact the lamp cluster.

8Tech.

• Will do some investigating thanks.

The bulb holder looks brand new with no signs of corrosion. Possibly the 'female' side however may have some corrosion although I can't bend my neck that way to have a good look!

• Zitat von sparklesmcgraw;90695

Could there possibly be a faulty connection between the bulb holder and socket? Has anyone experienced something similar before?

Thanks

Mine does the same and has been like it for ages
    Bulb works fine but it still shows random warnings

I put it down to the weather :hmmmm:

• If there is a slight gap between the contacts on the bulb holder and the light cluster there will be arching which "eats" away the contact strip on the light cluster. Sometimes, just closing the boot lid will cause the contact to be lost and hence the bulb out warning. It is not a very good design - I have the same issues on my X5.

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Zitat von 900ss;90725

Mine does the same and has been like it for ages
    Bulb works fine but it still shows random warnings

I put it down to the weather :hmmmm:

Try replacing the bulbs irrespective of whether they appear to be ok or not. An unusual resistance will trigger the warning.

8Tech.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!