• I know this is forum is specifically for the E31, but I also have an E53 (2001) 4.4i Sport for my sins. I have a number of problems and have trawled the net for sensible suggestions. This is the ONLY BMW related website where:
    a: Members are very knowledgeable
    b: Members actually respond to each other's posts.:kiss:

:banghead:Problems:
    Kick-Down
    As the engine on the X5 is similar to the M62 (although it has VANOS) I wonder if anyone can help. If I use the kick-down, the car doesn't accelerate - if feels as if it is being stifled and will not pull. If I accelerate more gently with the accelerator pedal then it pulls away fine. This has caught me out a couple of times when I wanted to quickly get out of a situation:ahhhhh:.

Sports Mode:
    When in Sports Mode, I select a gear and accelerate to maximum revs, the gearbox will not change up automatically (as it does in the E31) - the engine starts to miss-fire as if there is a rev limiter triggered.:hmmmm:

Self-Levelling Suspension:
    I have the rear-end self-levelling suspension option. I have the Self-Levelling Suspension Inactive light on. I have checked the air-bags and they are fine. The car ride height is fine and even all round. I have disconnected on of the axle sensors at the rear and manually moved the Hall-effect sensor, raising it uppermost (to replicated the car sinking down) and the air pump starts whirring.:dontknow:

Engine Warning Light:
    I have the amber warning light (picture of an engine), permanently on. I'm getting 21MPG and she runs sweet on a long-haul. What does this light relate to? I read somewhere it might be about the secondary air-flow, but I understand this is purely a system to pump air into the chambers on cold starts to clear out fumes and does not operate when the car is warmed up.:hmmmm:

If anyone can help I would be most grateful. If Gerry was nearer (I live in Shropshire) I would drop it into him. "Stealers" will fleece me for trying to identify these problems, I know. "Oh, you need a new gearbox" :aetsch: I can just hear them!

Thanks!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• The engine and hesitation problems sound very much as if the the air mass-flow sensor might be faulty. Thats the most likely, but it could also be fuelling or ignition.

Reading of the diagnostic codes would be a start.

I had some air leaks on the inlet manifolds and a sticky idle valve (not on your engine) that were giving me similar problems.

The secondary air pump is purely for feeding air into the exhaust stream to help the catalytic converters do their work when the engine is cold and the fuel-mixture is very rich. Unlikely cause, though it does have a one-way valve that uses manifold vacuum to operate.

• Hi Angus I had a similar problem with my 5 with regard to the 'engine' light it was the air system taken down to the air mass meter, all the sensors and cyclone valve were checked and replaced as necessary, Phil also presure tested the maniflods to check for a good seal - she runs fantastic now and has done for the past 3 years following this work.

I don't know about the other bits as I am not familiar with the model I would add that I have the 4.4 in my five :harhar:

Hope it gets sorted soon - and Oh you need a new gear box :laugh:

1991 850ci,
    2001 540
    2002 4.6 Range Rover Vogue

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!