Dear forum, EDC-problem.

• First of all, see attachment. (whats the deal with keeping information behind bars?) :dontknow: :naughty:

For the last 18 months I have had several electrical problems stretching from electrical windows to EDC.

Last week however BMW managed to solve the problem. One of nine (9) powercables in the driversdoor did not have good contact. All in all it solved central-lock, electrical windows, EDC, electric sunroof. They had a life of their own before...

Today when I reinstalled my stereo (head unit) and started to solve the low volume problem EDC failed again. Went to BMW and there was a new fault, we deleted it and it didn't appear again.

However when the EDC was working (briefly) there was and still are two faults, code 6 and 7. Can someone please help me to where to begin?

Starting to loose the E31 love... :cry:

• Hi there

Firts the " hidden sections " are for the club members that are paying the cost for running the server and so on , but you can also be a member and get full acess by paying a one time fee of 100E I think it was.
    I did a year or so back and found it well worth the money :) and it keeps the site running.

For your problems I guess we all understand your frustrations :banghead: but at least it seems like you solved one of them :top:

EDC Dampers are prone to fail Im afraid so would suggest rebuilding to Bilsteins like most others do , there are a few post here decribing the way to do it.

Soon there will be summer again and fun to drive a E31:cool: so keep it up.

Regards
    Terje

• I think that it's time to reconsider that cost to wiew the German forum, where most of the good information surely is. Other forums manage that without a fee of 100E... If there still need to be a fee, make all forummembers pay a small one instead.

Anyway Terje (and everyone else). Maybe I wasn't making myself clear when I wrote in frustration. :oops: The problems I used to have was:

* Power windows --> not responding when pressing buttons, going both down and up by themselves
    * Power sunroof --> not responding when pressing button
    * 6 mm function in driversdoor --> dead
    * Doorlock driversdoor--> not responding of key movement
    * Central lock --> locking and unlocking both when driving and parked
    * EDC --> not working
    * Windshield wipers--> dead
    * No sleepmode

Everything was repaired by BMW, it was just one of nine powercables (+12V) in driversdoor that was causing all of above mentioned problems. It had bad contact. When that particular cable was fixed in its right position everything was in perfect working order.

My EDC dampers are tight and dry and works beautifully when there is no electrical fault. And my question was aimed to get me starting investigating whats wrong according to fault 6 and 7 read out of DIS. I will keep the EDC cause there must just be a silly electric problem somewhere.

EDC light in switch still glows, all fuses are good and EDC failed by me reinstalling stereo headunit? :hmmmm:

I am quite new to E31 but I have owned quite a bunch of E32s all from 735 to Alpina B12. And I changed EDC dampers in front of my E32 Highline (pic) so I'm familiar with both EDC and the costs of it. This is probably something silly like bad contact or similar. And EDC in good working condition is very, very nice. Well much better than in emergency mode as they are now.

If anybody recognizes the problem or have a hint, feel free to let me know. And if you have a E32 with EDC problem I will answer your questions without fees. :harhar:

Finally Terje, your car is the reason why I kept the wheels from my old 540. Your car is truly beautiful! Maybe one day mine will look something in that direction...

• Your already "fixed" problem sounds very suspiciously like failing capacitors in the General Module. If any of the things you noticed returns despite the culprit possibly only being that one 12V lead then just replace all 5 caps in the GM.

Your EDC problem with errors 6 and 7 seems to point towards a defective valve coil (6) along with a valve error front axle (7) likely both related to each other. EDC3 in the E31 does not make use of the switch light to indicate a malfunction.

Reinhard

• :winkwink::winkwink: Hi

Reinhard might be pointing in the right direction regarding the GM and the capacitors., seems like you had EDC problems also before the BMW dealer fixed the door cable , any chance that the failure codes you have now also is related to the same ?

I can't see hove the cables in the door can have anything to do with these failure modes:hmmmm:

* EDC --> not working
    * Windshield wipers--> dead
    * Power sunroof --> not responding when pressing button

But I have heard most of these beeing related to dried out Capacitors.
    But that's a relative easy fix :cool:

Regards
    Terje

• Thank you for your answers.

This is where we all go really confused... I have three General Modules and one of them have newly soldered capacitators fitted. There is absolutely no difference between them. Pelle (from Swedish forum) have helped me a lot with my car, and he is also baffled by this.

As we too expected the GM to be the black sheep in this story.

The strange thing with this is that EDC was fully functioning although code 6 ande 7 was visible when running DIS until I reinstalled my stereo. And that's just what I did. Hooking up multicontact and antenna plug. :hmmmm:

And Reinhard, I know that in EDCII as in the E32 has different use of switchlight if faulty. But the light in my switch was off before the cable was fixed. Just wanted to mention it if it could help narrowing down the problem?

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• What makes you think your EDC was working before and is not now?
    With errors 6/7 set it is not working but set to Medium and if those errors were present before it was not working before.

The settings light in the EDC switch is only hooked to the EDC control unit. e.g. P 3715.1 of the ´91 ETM. It is not entirely unthinkable that through rummaging in the bowels of the center console you may have inadvertently moved things leading to this phenomenon.

Reinhard

• Well, because of the ride smoothness. Earlier it was like riding in a comfy sofa in Komfort mode and a little more on the edge in Sport mode. Now when the EDC isn't working it's like having fitted wooden wheels to the car.

Your other statement is plauseble. :top:

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

• Update

Well, not much new here. Spent all holidays working (but not on the car). A week ago I got tired of the original stereo headunit so I removed it in order to install the new Pioneer DEH-8400bt.

And voila, the EDC worked!? :hmmmm: :rock:

But it comes and goes. There must be some kind of bad connection below the stereo (as mentioned). Need to take a look at it properly when I get time (which never seems to occur).

Everything else still works just fine. Will take it on a 500k trip next week and see what surprises turn up...

And thank you Per for helping me change buttons on the OBC. :top:

Iwarsson Sweden
    E31 M70 6-speed
    Black on black -91

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!