wont start, been sitting a while.

• Yes I swapped the relays, all 4, and the DME's, and checked fuses, applied power in front of the fuse and then it ran (just used a piece of wire from the jumper terminal and applied to the fuse).

Alex, I'll have a look at that tomorrow if the reset does not help, the difference is that I don't have power on the fuse, and that comes from the K210 relay that does not trigger.... It may have gone into limp mode or something.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• It is the crankshaft sensor that is the primary sensor to enable the fuel pump - without the crankshaft signal the pump does nothing. However, this is the case with DME 3.3 - I'd have to investigate the DME 1.7 to make sure that is the case with the V12.

P.S. If the crankshaft sensor is not working you will not get a spark on the affected bank either - and that is reasonably easy to check on the M70

• Zitat von Timm;107247

It is the crankshaft sensor that is the primary sensor to enable the fuel pump - without the crankshaft signal the pump does nothing. However, this is the case with DME 3.3 - I'd have to investigate the DME 1.7 to make sure that is the case with the V12.

P.S. If the crankshaft sensor is not working you will not get a spark on the affected bank either - and that is reasonably easy to check on the M70

I thought about that, is that one of the 4 connected under the oil filler cap??

However the M70 V12 has two pumps and one is running, however the car does not start on 6 cylinders, but it sounds like it's trying every now and then.
    I'll whip out the old electrical cleaner tonight and se how it works after a reset tomorrow.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Yes, the sensors are just below the filler cap B222 and B223. Each DME controls the respective fuel pump relay. Check for a spark - if both banks have sparks then the crankshaft sensor can be dismissed.

• Thanks Timm.

I went out and did a good clean on all 4 (though they did appear good), then did a search and found that Alex (Schnitz850) had drawn them out for someone back in -07.
    It's the top right one and the bottom left one that go to upper and lower crankshaft sensor.

I did all the checks earlier today and my DME #1 does not trigger the fuel pump relay, and swapping them did not help, so something is preventing the DME from triggering the relay.
    Doing the battery disconnected reset now, if it's still a no go tomorrow (pump not running) I will pull the plugs and check for spark.
    If that is the case I will get new sensors.

Are the sensors exposed, I'm guessing they sit by the harmonic dampener (front "flywheel"? could they be covered in grime?
    A shop did replace my upper oil sump seal, could they have been bumped out of position while they did that??

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Found them, pretty dirty, looks like a thick coat of grime on them, kind of hard to get to get to them though, I need to find my big spanner to get the fan off for better access... but I have np clue where I left it, just finished building the garage so everything is a mess.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Today I tried again after the batteries being disconnected over night.
    Pump does not run.
    Pulled the spark plug on cylinder #1 and grounded the plug body, cranked the car and no spark.

Edit: Pulled the spark plug on cylinder #7 and there is spark when I crank the engine.

Guess I need to get some crank shaft sensors....... those things were not cheap, €150 each.......

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• Update.
    After some time away from home for work, and ordering new parts I finally got time to replace the crank shaft sensors.
    I started yesterday with the removal process, and there was quite a bit that had to be removed.
    -right intake and MAF
    -the little box on the right side of the radiator.
    -bank 7-12 distributor cap
    -fan and fan clutch
    -coolant hose between water pump housing and radiator.
    -belt tensioner and belt for alternator and hyd pump.

There are two p-clamps that hold the cables for the sensors. I gave up on the lower one and cut the cable, the bolt is half way hidden behind the harmonic dampener. I used plastic tie straps to fasten the new sensor.
    The sensors are fastened with 5mm allen key screws and they are not easy to get to, the top one being the worst.
    The bottom sensor is not easy to get out, but once the cable is free you can turn it and wiggle it out.

My car has either had some leakage in the front in the past, or someone has spilled a lot of oil when filling oil in the past 22 years.
    the front of my engine is covered in a 2-3mm thick coat of grime, no leaks now though.
    The old sensors was also completely covered in a 2mm thick coat of grime, so it is possible that this is what caused them to fail in my case, and that the sensors were actually OK and would have worked if they had been properly cleaned, may also explain why my issue started off intermittent.

After everything was assembled (I expect this job in total took about 4 hours) I cranked the car, I now have both fuel pumps running.
    It was very promising at first, but the car still refused to start, I then realized I had forgotten to connect the MAF connector.
    Sadly I think I flooded the engine before I realized that so as of now it's not running.

But at least now both fuel pumps are running, so I have high hopes.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

• And success.

Pulled 7-8 plugs and they were dripping wet with fuel.
    also found that the plug wires on cylinder 2 and 11 was not fully seated so I pretty much had a V10.

Car started right up and was cleaned and taken for a drive to get the rust off the brake discs.
    Now all I need to do is get the 6 month overdue MOT done and things are good.

One thing I noticed while driving was that I found my rev's to be high, at 80kph I had 2000rpm, I was expecting far less with the new 3.15 diff.
    Using Timm's gear calc I should have had 110khp at 2000rpm, further tinkering with the gear calc showed that I may have been in 3rd gear, because then my speed vs rpm makes sense.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!