Dashclocks needed URGENTLY

• @ Revtor

http://e31wiki.org/wiki/Instrument_cluster_swap#Recoding

Funny Thing.. i have a backplane 1 383 327 from 6/91
    VDO 991 901 0
    cannot read the whole number´s cause the label is partly destroyed.
    AEND. STAND 8.0

Barcode Numbers
    VDO 110.008.451/002
    BMW 62 11 1 383 240

@ inner side.. HW8.0/Sw5.0 15034

its a KMH/MPH Cluster (EG)
    The signal for AHK is missing..

LCD Module
    1 383 328 A
    629.802/10/1

May i sell the Backplane & LCD Panel if somebody needs..
    Cause my 850 is built 6/92.. so it doesn´t match.

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• Zitat von SmileitsMe;102009

Funny Thing.. i have a backplane 1 383 327 from 6/91

I took these changeover dates from the ETK, but maybe I should change/omit that information because it appears to be incorrect. I too have a 62 13 1 383 327 7/91 instrument cluster...

Zitat

VDO 991 901 0
    cannot read the whole number´s cause the label is partly destroyed.
    AEND. STAND 8.0

It reads:

ZB BODENPLATTE
    BMW 1 383 327
    VDO 991 901 018
    PROGR.VERSION:5.0
    AEND.STAND: 8.0

These numbers apply to the electronic backplane only. A German car with km/h speedo will have the same backplane as a UK car with MPH speedo from the same build date. Regional differences are in the coding and this is taken over from the EKM automatically as long as the instrument cluster used flag is not set.

Zitat

Barcode Numbers
    VDO 110.008.451/002
    BMW 62 11 1 383 240

That's the part number of the front housing with gauges installed. It's not important since it is not available from BMW as a whole (you can get the front house and gauges separately from BMW though) and if necessary you can still swap the entire front housing or individual gauges with your original instrument cluster.

Zitat

The signal for AHK is missing..

Are you sure? My 7/91 1 383 327 has the AHK bulb socket. The bulb was not installed since it came from an AHK-less E31 and I did not bother testing it, but I fail to see why the socket would be there if it wasn't supported.

Even though I would strongly recommend to always get the same part number as your original instrument cluster I did not encounter any problems mixing '91 and '97 instrument clusters and EKM modules. The only difference I found between the instrument clusters is a subtle difference in the LCD module.

Up to 09/1991: 62 11 1 383 328

From 09/1991: 62 11 8 354 452

As you can see there's a small change in the pixels of the transmission program indicator. This is clearly done to display extra characters the original layout couldn't, but I'm not sure which... I have only seen E, M and S in that location and that was already possible with the old pixel layout, but browsing through the '95 owner's manual I noticed the 840Ci has a winter program indicated with an asterisk (*) on the transmission program switch. The extra pixels in the display module would allow a 6-pointed asterisk to be displayed, but so far I have no confirmation the asterisk is actually displayed on the LCD module.

• Zitat von revtor;102012

Are you sure? My 7/91 1 383 327 has the AHK bulb socket. The bulb was not installed since it came from an AHK-less E31 and I did not bother testing it, but I fail to see why the socket would be there if it wasn't supported.

Hi!
    First thank you for excelence write up..

The bulb socket is also supported.. so the Backplane would..
    but the Control symbol light right does not support AHK... its black.. :)

you also said
    I did not encounter any problems mixing '91 and '97 instrument clusters and EKM modules.

So i will change the capacitors and storage it for spare

Greetins
    Richard

Alle sagten es geht nicht, bis einer kam der das nicht wusste und es einfach machte...:winkwink:

• Zitat von SmileitsMe;102015

but the Control symbol light right does not support AHK... its black.. :)

Mine has the AHK symbol - when I hold it to the light (no bulb installed) I can clearly see the yellow 4-wheel steering indicator. Strange because it's only one month younger than yours... Anyway, you can easily exchange/replace the left and right symbol sheets.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!