Engine Mount

• Hello All,

Spent a couple of hours under the car night before last cleaning up as much oil as possible. Came across a number of 'interesting' things, one of which being some displaced rubber on the right-side (looking forwrd) engine mount. I think I know the answer already, but does this warrant buying a new mount? Also, is this a DIY job or are special tools needed?

This picture is looking back along the oil pan at the mount.

This picture is looking up from the floor.

Regards,

Ivan

01/1994 E31 840i M60 European LHD automatic, prod code EF61

• I have done it several times....and yes...you need to replace your motor mounts. If one is that bad, then do both. Undo the bottom of the engine mounts from underneath, then replace it back only finger tight. Place a 2 x 4 piece of wood that extends all the way across the oil pan and jack from there, or place the jack under the front crank with a piece of wood between the metal and jack.Undo the top of the engine mounts, and carefully jack up the motor until the bolt in the engine mounts clear. Go back and take the bolts back off from the bottom, and you can work the mounts out. I have at times just done one side at at time, and at other times done both. Just watch all the hoses and lines as to not overstress them. Good Luck.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• Thanks rogbmw,

Seems easy enough, but then again I'm finding nearly everything on the 8 doesn't come too easy when you get down to it! I was thinking that I might as well do the gearbox mount also. I haven't had a chance to look for it, but I'd assume it'll need replacing. Have you also changed one of those? Any tips?

Regards,

Ivan

• Cheers Timm,

Mounts on the way from 'Car-Parts24' in Germany. I find them a lot cheaper than I can get parts here in Spain, even with p&p. Looks a simple enough job but I decided to trust the job of the centre-tie rod and pitman arm (in the boot waiting to be fitted) to someone with a four-post lift so'll probably wait for the mounts to come and have them all done together.

Regards,

Ivan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!