Rear wheel alignment?.

• Zitat

I hope you installed your new ones using some grease so they can't corrode inside the bearing anymore.

Good point. I hope they did. I did not know about that and was not there for the fitting.

• To most mechanics I know copper grease seems to be something totally unknown.
    I use it all the time:
    When installing ABS sensors incl. the little M6 screw.
    The fixing screws for the brake rotors.
    Handbrake cables where they go into the wheel carrier.
    Various front and rear axle bolts
    etc. etc.
    Only on wheel bolts it is an absolute NoNo.

• Well I did not, until August last year when I needed to do some work on the pop-up headlamps. He supplied a headlamp pod level adjusting tool which proved
    invaluable. It made the job a whole lot easier.

• Zitat von wak;117516

I recently had the rear wheel alignment done with David Prentice, Portadown, Northern Ireland.
    The bolts were badly rusted and they could not get any from Germany.
    I went online and located and got them from http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/
    We soon had them in the post and job done.

Just checked their websaite and they no longer list the Eccentric Bolts for Camber adjustment (Part 3 on the diagram)

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Why a NoNO on wheel bolts??

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Wolf - I thought it was OK to use copper grease on the wheel bolts. I have been using it for over 20 years on all my lug bolts with a proper torque setting and never have had one get loose.

BMW 850 CSi
    BMW 8er.org Clubs International (B8CI) Board Representative, USA and North America
    Editor, E31 NEWS International E31 Newsletter

• Zitat von rogbmw;117566

Wolf - I thought it was OK to use copper grease on the wheel bolts. I have been using it for over 20 years on all my lug bolts with a proper torque setting and never have had one get loose.

I learned to never use it on lug bolts because they could come loos even if tightened with the correct torque.
    Why exactly? I could only guess....

• Zitat von anguswolfendale;116945

.. If you end up doing all this, you would be well advised to have the BMW KDS wheel alignment check done afterwards. Here in the UK it is £150 +VAT!!:ahhhhh:! BUT four tyres are much more :)

http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…highlight=rear+suspension

Having noticed uneven wear on my front tyres, after replacing the suspension links, I figured that a KDS might be in order. Just called the local dealer and was quoted £365.40.

Have prices increased ?

Rear tyres are actually fine with little and even wear, so do you think a tyre-shop alignment just for the front might be all right, in view of the price of a KDS?

The tyres have about 9,000 miles on them from new.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/26537/

Whilst at it, the other thing I was going to have done is to change the auto transmission fluid, but I understand that probably only 4 or 5 litres will be renewed as the rest will remain in the transmission oil cooler and the torque-converter. That was estimated at around £187 plus cost of filter in sump.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!