840 ci auto box howls !!

• Help, i've got an 840 ci 1998 auto its showing @85ooo, miles and has been stood up for a wile, now the auto box howls when at full throttle as the revs pass 4to5 thou, thought of pulley belts, not, hole in air intake, not, sound like air passing through the exhaust at supersonic speeds so i thought possibly the gear box any body else had a daft noise like this:driver:

• That sounds more like the viscous-coupled fan - the clutch is stuck and the fan is flying around, and when it does that, it will certainly howl - and then it may shed the fan blades through the bonnet! When the engine is cold, open the bonnet and start the engine - the main fan should be pushing a lot of air around, you will feel it blowing past the engine. After 1 to 2 minutes the fan clutch should de-couple and the wind noise will decrease, at this point it is possible to stop the fan with a rolled-up newspaper (or even your fingers if you don't mind the possibility of losing them).

My thoughts are that the viscous coupling will stay locked and the fan will continue to run at the same speed as the water-pump (to which the viscous-coupled fan is attached) and you will not be able to stop the fan with the newspaper.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!