• The system has an inherent problem in that it needs to guess what the driver wants to achieve without seeing the environment. If you e.g. need to slowly crawl up an incline you´d normally use your left foot, eyes and brains to keep the clutch right at the necessary slip (or stall if you have a weak left leg :D) With the Shiftronic all you can do is use the accelerator with the electronics guessing the incline and how fast you plan to go. This leads to at best funny effects of all kinds. Not so funny if you plan to navigate the car slowly up close to a barrier, say a wall... you can be lucky or... well :shock:

The wear on the clutch is hence comparatively high and since the left leg pressure needs to be supplied by an additional hydraulics pump and buffered by a pressure reservoir (similar to "bomb") you have additional wear and tear items which nowadays are either outrageously expensive (pump) or outright NLA (pressure reservoir).

It is a smart system with the car in normal driving situations, provided mechanics are in good working order, but can quickly eat through your clutch if something in the hydraulic system is out of specs.

Reinhard

• Aaah....yeah, that's similar to the problem all these SMG cars have when doing things like parallel park. I hear it gets tricky :). Thanks for the input Reinhard.

CB42366- 91 850i Brilliantrot/schwarz nappa
    CD00144- 94 CSi Hellrot/schwarz nappa
    :devilchilli:

• Zitat von CaifanSC;119246

Aaah....yeah, that's similar to the problem all these SMG cars have when doing things like parallel park. I hear it gets tricky :). Thanks for the input Reinhard.

After driving an e46 M3 SMG for close to 6 years I have had no problem what so ever parking, or any other maneuvers, like slow crawls, queuing ect. it will release the clutch depending on your throttle input, nice and soft and it lets it off smooth and easy, sudden and long travel of the throttle and it will let it off quicker and harder.
    The only bad thing about them is that they downshift automatically when the rpm drop below a certain level, usually 1000rpm.
    This meant that entering a intersection or traffic circle in 4th, the car will downshift to 2nd at the worst possible time, and take "forever" to shift.
    It require a slightly different driving style, and you have to plan and downshift early in some cases to avoid this.
    After checking my clutch with the diagnostic tool after 140.000km, it is not even half worn, in newer cars I believe an SMG/DKG clutch life will exceed that of a manual. For the early versions like the Alpina shiftronic that may not be the case.

Personally, I doubt I will ever own a car with 3 pedals again.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!