Change language in MID

• As I understand it there are two ways to change language in the MID.

1. Via the Service Menu.

2. Recoding the EKM.

As stated in this thread, reply #8 by user revtor. http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…375&viewfull=1#post120375

Is it possible to recode with GT1/DIS v44? I have access to DIS. Anything in particular to pay attention to? Don't want to mess something expensive up..

Or perhaps just change the language via the Service Menu.

What's your take on this?

• Zitat von user2883;121608

Is it possible to recode with GT1/DIS v44? I have access to DIS. Anything in particular to pay attention to? Don't want to mess something expensive up..

Yes, but it's rather complex through DIS because you have to recalculate the vehicle's central coding key (ZCS). It's much easier through NCS Expert but in this particular case I would recommend the service menu. Just a minute work and no tools required. Here's the full reply I wrote to rogbmw:

Service menu functions can be selected by pressing the [1000] and [10] keys simultaneously, then entering a 2-digit number between 01 and 29 on the "TEST-NR.:--" prompt with the [10] and [1] keys and finally confirming by pressing [SET/RES]. If you want to change between service menu functions, just press [1000] and [10] simultaneously again, enter the other function's number and press [SET/RES]. If you want to leave the menu, just press any other function key (consumption, temperature, check control,...).

If you have never been in the service menu before, you first have to check whether it's unlocked and if necessary unlock it: Press [1000] and [10] simultaneously, enter 19 (lock/unlock service menu) on the "TEST-NR.:--" prompt with the [10] and [1] keys and press [SET/RES]. If the screen now says "LOCK OFF", the service menu is already unlocked. If the screen says "LOCK ON --", the service menu is still locked. To unlock the service menu, press the [DATUM] or [DATE] key to show the date. Add both month and day numbers (for example for today, June 22, that's 7 + 22 = 29) and enter the result on the "LOCK ON --" prompt with the [10] and [1] keys. Confirm with [SET/RES]. You will now return to the "TEST-NR.:--" prompt. The service menu remains unlocked until power is lost to the MID (ie battery disconnect).

To change the language and units of the MID, enter the service menu and select function 11. Change the currently selected region with the [1000] and [100] keys (up and down). The choices are:

• 0 D (Germany)
    • 1 US (United States)
    • 3 J (Japan)
    • 4 CDN (Canada)
    • 5 F (France)
    • 6 E (Spain)
    • 7 I (Italy)
    • 8 AUSTRAL.GOLF (Australia and Gulf States)
    • 9 UK (United Kingdom)

There is no region 2. Once you've selected your region, save the setting by pressing [SET/RES].

Other interesting service menu entries are:

• 01: Display test to find out whether it's time to contact German Audio Tech...
    • 06: Current fuel tank content (only in liters)
    • 08: Digital speedometer (only in km/h)
    • 09: Battery voltage

For the complete list, refer to Mike Coenen's e31.net website.

• Thank you for your reply revtor!

I assume by using the same procedure, I can change back to the original language?

Also, what are the visible differences between coding the EKM/changing via service menu? The instrument display doesn't have any language specific output, right?

• Zitat von user2883;121644

I assume by using the same procedure, I can change back to the original language?

Yes.

Zitat

Also, what are the visible differences between coding the EKM/changing via service menu?

Visible? None. We are just lucky that this particular setting can also be changed through the easily accessible service menu.

Zitat

The instrument display doesn't have any language specific output, right?

No.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!