Daylight Running Lights Modification

• I have finally fitted the Daylight Running Light kit which I bought from Martin (Webmaster) a couple of years ago. The kit is designed for older LHD models and there are differences with the later RHD models that result in alternative approach to wiring in the kit. I have therefore prepared the attached pdf instructions for installing the kit in later year RHD models.

I appreciate that there has been previous discussion regarding DRL and some have simply soldered a wire across the two contacts on the bottom of a twin-filament bulb, then drive the car with the side-lights on. I've done this but wanted a more elegant solution that correctly has the DRL lit without the rear side-lights on. I also wanted to be able to leave the light switch in DRL mode and not worry about leaving lights on when I switched off the ignition.

Martin's relay unit achieves this, together with a new light switch that has the DRL position.

The DRL lights look great and it was worth the effort in fitting this kit.

• Well done but a lot of work for as little as two lights a day ;)
    We´ve done this fairly often in the past and always found it maybe a little over the top for the purpose. Others achieved the same, as you write, by as little as soldering two patches together. Nevertheless this type of Swiss engineering is as good and as OEM as it gets. :top:

We have yet to see the ex-factory solution employed in cars for the Scandinavian countries where daytime running light was compulsory from as early as the 80´s but there aren´t many cars with this country designation and they maybe never had this feature anyway.

Did you check whether the cable from the engine compartment is routed into the original place namely the passenger side (RHD) footwell under the carpet? We always found this a reasonably practical solution as it saved us the extra chores of laying a cable like you had to.

I am not sure whether this DRL module is still available ex-Switzerland so the write-up was possibly only academical but nevertheless: thanks! :top:

Cheers
    Reinhard (needs to do this in a RHD some time in the future...)

• Reinhard,
    I did look in the LEFT side (passenger footwell of RHD cars) for the X14 connector mentioned in Martin's instructions. It is deep under the footwell carpet and under a plastic "bridge" covering it and two other connectors. I checked for the supposed wire from this connector, passing through the bulkhead to the Side Light connectors but it is not present on my car. This is why I sought an alternative route, that didn't require me trying to lay a wire across the cabin to the X14 connector.

I appreciate it seems like a lot of work, but to be honest, I enjoyed working on the car and "improving" it in an OEM way. I hadn't realised how much electronics and wiring are hidden under the carpets and along the sills!

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!