Low oil pressure warning

• So I got this message in the MID, and the dreaded red oil can symbol in the dash.
    Because the engine is running perfectly smooth, without any valve clatter I have pretty much determined that this is a false alarm.

Over the years I have gotten this normally after an engine wash, so I have seen it from time to time in the past.
    However, this time it's not going away. And it appears to be coming and going.

So.
    Oil level is good.
    No audiable signs of low oil pressure like valve clatter, the valve lifters being hydraulic should start to clatter a long time before the pressure is actually low enough to trigger the alarm.
    The oil may be getting a bit old, it's due for a change.

My question is, are the sensors prone to fail, after all its in the filter housing, and the connector is filling up with water every time you wash the engine, and it sits close to the exhaust manifolds heat.
    When disconnected I have no alarm, (I forgot to connect it when going for a short drive) so I dont think its a wiring issue.
    I can start up the car, drive for a while and the alarm pops up, it may come and go, but tends to stay on until the engine is switched off.
    On restart it is gone, and may not come back on the drive home.

I think I just need a new sensor, anyone else changed this?

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Yes, the oil pressure sensors can and do fail - you can either remove it and fit a gauge to ensure the pressure is OK - or just go for a new sensor and see what happens!

• Just curious, do the 850's have the same oil pump and the issue of loosening bolts causing the pump to not work as efficiently for oil pressure? Is that transient symptoms also

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!