New cars are boring

• Zitat von Nifty50;129303

but methinks Egil is in a different league.

Not really, but with no wife or kids my financial freedom means I can prioritize differently.

I'm not buying a Mercedes, I'm buying an AMG, they just share the looks of a Mercedes, much like an ///M car is somethinge entirely different than a BMW.

-Egil (thats my name)

1990 850IA Hartge SC
    2012 M550d Touring

If I misspelled a word it's because I'm Norwegian, so bear with me.

• Has anybody seen the Porsche Mission E?

OMG, that is definitely not boring! More than 600bhp and 0-100km/hr in under 3.5 seconds.

I saw the Tesla this year whilst marshalling at the Brighton speed trials and that was unbelievable but this Mission E is on a mother planet.

• Are new cars boring? I think most of them are, just as most of them have been in the past. It's the same with movies. There aren't more bad movies made today than in the past, it's just that only the good ones survive and the rest is forgotten. Selective perception. Besides, when you are used to the 8 it's really hard to improve because it's a car that just works in every aspect. Yes, you can always have more, but even a lot of "more" will rarely become "different".

The 90s for me have been the decade where cars began to "just work". They (reliably) did what you expected of them, didn't need to be pampered and didn't require you to adjust to their quirks. Unfortunately the same 90s have been the decade where cars stopped to "just work". They became "smart" and failed. For example, when I release the parking brake, I want it released at that moment and not when the car thinks it should be done. In some cars you even have to struggle with the indicators. Why can't I change the radio stations when I'm in the navigation menu? Menus... I hate menus!

In ye olden days you could operate a car without taking your eyes and concentration off the road. Your feet were too cold? Just yank a lever. Trained reflexes, muscle memory. You didn't have to think about it. But today, you have to take a good look at your LCD, select the appropriate menu (possibly with a user interface that lags like hell) and select your desired temperature. Oh, have I just hit something with my car? Phew, lucky that I haven't been operating my phone instead because that would have been illegal!

Every time I have to drive such an attention whore it distracts me from the driving experience in a way that I don't have an experience any more (at least not a good done). It's just stressful when you can't feel your way around the car.

I find modern cars more annoying than anything else.

...Mike

Aub, Blackpool, Bremen, Dingolfing, Dunmurry, Göteborg, Levallois, Rüsselsheim, Siedenburg

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!