Looking for a S70 850CSI broken maf to do research on

• Alright - so here is the current status:

We have 4 options:

I) Nothing: We don't do anything and rely on BMW and Bosch to keep re-building the old MAFs. It's somewhat costly but the cars will drive.
    Cost: 0€ + parts prices from BMW

II) Digital Conversion: It's the thing I've talked about. Conversion electronics + modern MAFs (we can guarantee 4k hours of operation (capacitor) up to 140°C).
    Cost per side (x2):
    250€: Electronics per piece. The main cost is soldering time (somebody needs to do that manually)
    ?€: 3D printed Connector (but probalby very low once a model is made)
    ~300€: Modern MAF (off the shelf)

=> About 1100€ for a car

III) Analogue conversion
    If the conversion characteristic does not need to be very accurate, we can just shift output voltage using cheap analogue electronics.
    I can only recommend that if the characteristics are only shifted. I need to check.
    Analogue circuit: ~100€ (only few parts so very low soldering time)
    Connector: ~?€
    Modern MAF: ~300€

==> About 800€ for a car

IV) Full digital and programmable
    This is the most fun and not more expensive than option II) because most parts are off the shelf. Via bluetooth you can observe the measured values, temperature in the engine bay and so forth. You could programm different characteristics on the fly...
    BUT!: Temperature resistance is only guaranteed up to 80°C.I don't think this works in the engine compartment - I assume that we easily reach temperatures of 90°C on a hot day in a traffic jam.Still, I haven't really measured it. I might upload the video of all of that stuff and post a link..

What do you think? I, personally, would still recomment option I) or II). I have a guy that can 3D print it, but he needs a model.
    Also I prefer II) over III) because the overall price does not really differ and we can fully program it.

• Fatandre,

sorry to hear that you need them asap. We have no connector yet and.. well.. it will take some time.
    If it takes until Christmas - would you still be interested or will you then have another solution and not take any?

@all:
    There is no sense at all in doing this if there will be fewer than 10 people (M70 and S70 combined) wanting these.
    In order to go forward with the 3D printing, I would really like to know whether this will find buyers (it will cost over 1000€ for a car, including everything).

Any commitments, here?

(Reasoning: The electronics alone needs to be a small hand-soldered batch of 10 pairs minimum. I will then put this money forward (5k€) - it would be shit to not sell these (well - I might take 1 or 2 pairs, so I guess a definitive commitment of around at least 3 pairs would be nice..))

Dieter

• Dieter

I will commit to one pair and are fairly sure that Pål Rønning commit's as well

Soldering I can also do myself if needed, or can take on to solder the whole batch if that will help also for the pricing.
    I am pretty sure there will be people thanking you later on to keep their CSI's or Alpinas 5,7 running so even if not all are sold right away they eventually will go.

Regards
    Terje

• Balbo: yes and no. You can re-use the modern MAFs (the VW MAFs, or whatever we end up picking and if) for both M70 and S70.

We could make the electronics switchable (either for M70 or S70 via a switch) - but we haven't thought about that one yet... The plan so far was to build a fixed conversion electronics programmed either for M70 or S70 and then fill it with epoxy (water protection) - so that wouldn't be re-programmable.. what do you think?

• I can wait until Christmas, but it would be perfect if we could get it sooner.
    I have a real problem as I cannt even find a used s70 maf. I would get your mafs though as it is perfect to have the possibility to get the modern maf.

• Zitat von revtor;131823

Personally I'd prefer to find a company that rebuilds these MAFs. It's not exactly rocket science.

This would be exactly my very same opinion... if I just were affected
    :top:

Das was du heute denkst, wirst du morgen sein.
    Buddha

• Zitat von fuzzifikation;131916

well.. Bosch AA (Aftermarket) rebuilds them.. officially. They had none on offer last I checked - but if that all solves it, I highly recomment you guys get together and contact Bosch to have a batch of them rebuilt!

http://www.bosch-automotive-ca…FBMW%2F244%3FautoLoad%3D1

looks like they discontinued the product this year. but maybe they do a batch if enough people ask?

You will make the vw thing though? Plz

• The "ultimate" air straightener

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/33295/

It with removal of the stock screen and flow straightener reportedly added about 10 hp to an M3 with an M60 maf already added to increase air flow. The leading edges are sharp enough to dice small birds and sturdy enough to stop large birds and small tree limbs before they reach the working parts.

I still have difficult understanding that Bosch didn't use exactly the same electronics and "hot wire/film" on multiple models and manufacturers around the same time period. Connector changes-probably to suit the car manufacturers standards--maybe. Just like the 540/740/840 Maf is supposed to be a plug in substitute for some M3 models only larger in diameter. Making model specific Maf signal changes so the Motronics software has to be modified just seems un-Bosch like.

But then again my experimentation days are over so it is up to others to play in that puddle.

• Just received word from a stateside CSi owner that he had his MAF´s rebuilt by a Boulder/CO based company called Injection Labs, Inc.

http://www.injectionlabs.com/massmeter.html

Maybe worth asking as they address one of the crucial points - the platinum alloy wire.

If rewiring does not cost all that much and one can keep everything completely stock this is probably worth a closer look.

Regards
    Reinhard

• That looks interesting. Reinhard.

It is to be hoped they can rebuild the MAF better than they can build their website though:)

Maybe some of our 8er friends across the pond can investigate more locally.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!