Cruise Control Connector Location

• I am in process of retro-fitting cruise control to my 1999 840 M62 Right-hand drive. All the hardware is fitted (Actuator; Column switch, control unit in boot). Now it is time to install the wiring loom.

In the middle of the loom are three connectors:
    1) To column switch,
    2) for Clutch (mine has a bypass link as its automatic)
    3) black 6-pin plug-in connects to X76 (special eqpt), below instrument panel.

I cannot find the connector for X76 anywhere!!!

I have the driver's footwell stripped out and have spent hours searching for it. Does anyone know where it is?

Nr Welshpool, Powys, Wales[INDENT]E31 840 Ci Sport - 1999
    VW Passat Alltrack - 2013
    Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002
    Toyota Rav4 - 1997[/INDENT]

• Hi Timm:
    I thought the wiring layout for a Right Hand Drive would be the mirror image of the Left-hand drive. The BMW instructions only shows the wiring layout for a Left-Hand Drive.

If the cruise control loom has a chance of reaching the cruise control stalk, then it must enter the cabin via the drivers footwell and therefore the X76 should be within circa 12" of that area for the loom to reach it. The part of the loom that goes under the wing inner protector and into the engine bay to the actuator is long-enough to track across the rear of the engne bay from driver's side to passenger side. It would be too long if it was entering the engine bay on the passenger side.

I could really do with help from someone who has retrofitted fitted this to a RH drive vehicle.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• The only member I know who retrofitted CC to a RHD model was Paul Morgan - I was going to buy the kit from him and he messaged:

>> Fitting is relatively straightforward, in terms of difficulty, as
    >> it's
    >> just a case of plugging in connectors and mounting parts where the
    >> car
    >> already has the holes in place ready for the kit. It is a bit time
    >> consuming, as you have to remove various bits of trim to run the
    >> wiring loom, but if you've ever taken interior panels off before it
    >> should be possible to fit in a few hours.
    >>
    >> I don't have instructions -- didn't get any and I didn't feel they
    >> were necessary. It's reasonably straightforward once you know where
    >> the various parts mount, then just a case of running the loom and
    >> plugging it all together. I can give you some guidance on it if you
    >> decide to go ahead with it.

One more thing, if you decide you're still interested in the kit. The
    bottom half of the plastic shroud that covers the steering column is
    slightly different on cars equipped with cruise control, to
    accommodate the extra stalk. It's possible to modify the existing
    shroud, but clearly it is preferable to get the original part. I have
    the proper cruise control part fitted to my car, and I'd be willing to
    swap it for a non-cruise control version

I never got around to doing this as I bought my present E31 which had CC

• Took a bit of searching but I found the original thread in the end, the member is Paul_M - and some more info here:

http://www.8er.org/forum/showt…for-840&p=66818#post66818

"The one part that can be challenging, as you state, is getting the plug that connects the cruise control loom to the rest of the car's loom. Mainly because the instructions I had were very vague to its actual location. Being that I've now fitted and removed a cruise kit twice, I don't find it much of an issue.

It's only that one connector that needs to be found; the stalk connector is part of the cruise kit, so you just run it to the same place as the wiper stalk connector, and it clips on. You then mount the cruise control stalk (again it just clips on to the existing runners) and plug the connectors together."

• Hi Danilo,
    Yes I have this manual. It says for RHD vehicles lay branch B & C to the drivers side. No mention of branch D. But the wiring harness is not long enough to reach from one side of the cockpit to the other so I am presuming all the cockpit connections are on the same side of the car. I have also checked the part number on the wiring loom which is definitely for RHD. There is a different part# for the LHD wiring loom, which suggests the layout of the cables is different for RHD.

Still struggling with this one. I have stripped out the Passenger (LEFT SIDE) footwell and still cannot find this damn connector.
    Can anyone help on it's actual location? :help:

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• :banghead:Branch D goes to connector X76. According the ETK, this connects to the Body Electronics Module (EKM). This is the lowest module (closest to floor) in the "cassette rack" behind the glove box. I've had this out and searched all around it but can't find this six pin connector. I really don't know where to look next?:help:

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Thanks Angus, Timm - received. I am still around albeit with a delay ;)

I am unaware that I am in the UK but if I was you´d also have xlnt weather for a change :D

That connector... forgive me if memories are fleeting. This was more or less the first thing I did in ca. 2003, a few days ago that is. :roll:

I do seem to remember something but possibly mix this up with the OBD2 connector for the M73.

There is a fairly thick bundle of wires at the very top of the dashboard. You can get there "easily" once you have removed the carrier with the three ECUs: GM, EKM, LKM (lots of plugs but IIRC only 1 or 2 size 10 nuts). Bend over backwards and dive into the legroom head first, have a torch in mouth.

Right up where the thick bundle of wires moves along the left edge of the dashboard and continues down you will hopefully find the connector you are looking for. It will not be visible but squeezed back even behind the strand of wires. It will likely be wrapped in the black textile type electrical tape and all you can do is feel your way to it.

I seem to remember that we took apart half the car to no avail and had given up hope to ever find that plug. I have no idea how you can get this extended to where your steering wheel is, but first things first!

Fingers crossed and keep us posted!

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Thank you Reinhard! I did look in this area but obviously not close enough - I'll update on progress.

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• Well, I've taken out ALL the control modules and the passenger seat so I could really search the LEFT footwell and under-dash areas. I have felt every cm of the wiring looms for any sign of a connector and come up with nothing. I've lifted the floor carpet and checked the wiring under there and looked in the sill panels for any sign of a connector. Someone on Bimmerforums suggested that 6MT cars in RHD did not come with cruise - but I don't know what 6MT means. Next step is to remove driver's seat and instrument cluster and really search the right-side. This has turned into a marathon job. But, as I have every part of the cruise control kit I am determined to get it fitted, bar finding that my car never had the X76 connector!!!

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• We went as far... :roll:

6MT is 6 speed manual transmission and the suggestion is rubbish.

I was unable to find the original subject on my cruise control retrofit - apparently lost in the tides of times (old forum) but found references to this labour of love that confirmed my earlier assumptions.

Both, the OBD2 plug in the M73 and also the cruise control connector (much smaller!) in the M62 w/o CC are "bound back" in that strand of wires depicted below.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39839/

Shown is the approximate location where this large OBD2 plug was hidden amidst the cables. To save space these are normally wrapped with insulation tape and the excess cable lengths tied together into one package. This might also hide behind that softish black "tar paper".

The cruise control plug was not that close to the firewall as seen above but rather at the highest point of the dashboard about 15-20cms closer to the cabin.

Mind you that this is the LHD driver side - I have yet to master the science of diving in RHD cars and do not know whether they are a copy or a mirror of what we have.
    Do not remove the seat unless you have to fix it - nothing there. We went there and came back empty handed ;)

Try harder you must, young Jedi!
    Cheers
    Reinhard

• I found a few pictures which appear to show the connector you either have in your kit or need to be looking for along with the location on the stering column.

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39840/ 8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39841/ 8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39842/
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39843/ 8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39844/

These were possibly taken in 2003/4 but unfortunately no EXIF data inluded so I do not really know what these were made for.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• Thank you Reinhard. Certainly no connectors in my car like those shown in you first photograph, anywhere near that bundle of wires. The black connector on the steering column has wrong coloured (and too many) wires from it. As you say - keep digging away. I took the seat out purely to enable better access in the foot-well/under dash - it's an age thing!

Mercedes SLK 320 - 2002

• I do think that the white plug next to the black one on the steering column is what you will be looking for. The black one only shows where it (which way ever) is going to be attached.

The ETM shows wire colours like so:

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39873/

Does the wiring look at least remotely similar on the RHD passenger side to what is depicted above?

Maybe you can somehow see the 4 blue/colour wires come in through the firewall. They will (very likely) be unique to the cruise control.

Cheers
    Reinhard

• The connector I am searching for s referred to as X76. The only reference I can find to it in the ETK is circled in red on the wiring diagram below. The connector on the cruise control wiring look is also shown, having five wires.
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39883/
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39884/

• Hi Reinhard, Yes I have this manual. It is written for LEFT drive cars with some small note regarding RIGHT drive cars.
    8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39888/

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39889/

8er.org/forum/index.php?attachment/39890/

I have confirmed that the wiring loom I have is for a RIGHT drive car. The section that goes from the footwell (speaker aperture) to the steering column is too short to reach from the LEFT side to the steering column, hence I think the wiring is laid on the RIGHT side of the car (mirror image of the layout in the manual).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!