• I know there have been several posts on this subject but I can't get the search to work on the archives and don't have time to go through all the posts to seek answers so if anyone saved the links or has suggestions for my problem I could sure use the help. I have a 91 850i Euro and I am getting a strong gas smell that is most noticeable on start up with a cold engine. I still get the smell if the engine is warm but not as bad. The smell seems to eminate from the top of the engine but I can find no sign of leakage. The shop I went to said that perhaps one of the injectors showed a little pinkish stain (i.e. evidence of a leak or crack) but none of the hoses etc. appeared to have a problem. I have only replaced the two short hoses next to the intake (they had a visible leak a couple of months ago)so the shop recommends replacing all the fuel hose as a starting point which I don't have a problem with as it is probably a good idea anyway with the age of the car. Do you have to remove the intakes to get at the lines that run underneath? Is there anything else that we should be looking at?

In an unrelated problem, I have the rough idle problem and haven't been able track it down. It occurs no matter what the engine temp although it is usually slightly worse when cold. The intake gaskets don't show any sign of leaking (spraying cold start/choke cleaner around the intakes produces no change in idle speed. Plug wires have been recently changed. Inspection II was done within the last 5,000 miles and had no affect on the problem. I have had the problem since buying the car last January. I have the Conforti chips and traded them back out for the originals thinking that since maybe my car was a euro version this had something to do with it. Have tried the coast down sync. Don't know where else to go, except pull all the plugs and see if I can isolate it to one cylinder.

Your help is as always greatly appreciated.
    Jim M
    All of the rubber fuel lines have been replaced on my 92. Most of them about a year ago and finally the ones you refer to just last week. The intake manifold did not have to be removed just the top engine cover.
    I would certainly replace all of them. I seem to recall there are 8 or 10.

Check for the possibility of a cloged injector with respect to your rough idle. They should be cleaned durng the 20,000 mile service #2 anyway I believe. I know mine were.
    Robin

Injector Cleaning - removal or additive ?

Robin,
    Did they actually remove your injectors to clean them or did they put in an additive to clean them while under operation?
    Thanks for the input.
    Jim M
    91 850i Euro

You can clean your injectors by dumping a bottle of Chevron's Techron into a full tank. Considered one of the better cleaners.
    You can also remove the injectors and have the ultrasonically cleaned and flow-checked at any Bosch or diesel injection service shop. Around $15.00 per injector, and don't forget to replace the top and bottom O-rings while they're accessible.

Something to consider.
    Mark

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!