850ci - how many miles are too many?

• i recently found a 97 850ci with 75000 miles. 75000 miles is a bit out of my comfort zone for a car purchase, i'd prefer to find one with about 50000. but, are 850s durable enough that this car, with 75000 miles, could be my everyday, reliable get-to-work car?

• My 1995 840 is at 133,000 miles and is hard to tell from a new car-Actually it is a vast improvement over most new cars!!

The E32 folks keep complaining when the speedometer stops recording at 299,999 or something like that with their original engines still running.

And it is my daily driver!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Just make sure that it has not been overheated and runs with the temp needle dead on the center dot even in traffic.

Overheating and lack of maintenance seem to be the major problems with any of the big BMW engines.

But they just love rolling down the road at a good clip!!

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I agree...my CSi has done 150000km (100000 miles near enough) and still drives like new. :D

On the temp needle...most 850s I've seen drive with the needle just a smidgen to the left of dead centre. Don't know why! :?

• Zitat von Sniff

I agree...my CSi has done 150000km (100000 miles near enough) and still drives like new. :D

On the temp needle...most 850s I've seen drive with the needle just a smidgen to the left of dead centre. Don't know why! :?

I'm very interested in a 134000km 850 Csi. Can you tell me if I had to look for future important maintenance cost? Do you think this car could go a lot further?

• These comments are good to hear regarding the temperature guage. MY 850i always runs one click left of center and I was concerned.

My 750il with 150,000 miles and a new tranny always runs dead center but it is now taking longer to get there. Anyone know why?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!