Gas Smell

• S I have noticed a faint gas smell in the cabin when I am driving, and after I stop and lift the hood I can smell it in the engine bay. During my buyers inspection, there was no mention of it, but I'm not sure if they got a whiff. Any idea what might be casuing it?

Of course I plan on making service appointment asap but thought I would see if anyone else had run into it. my ride is a '91 850i.

Thanks in advance.

• Standard leak seems to be two fuel lines behind the engine. It requires removing the cabin filter housing to see the lines.

Replace them even if you can't see a leak because they become porous and "Sweat" gasoline when under pressure.

That seems to be the consensus from the Roadfly owners of early 850's and it is a common problem.

Definitely a fire hazard when they get real bad. Post fire pictures were just posted on Roadfly (first I have seen in over a year of watching).

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Yep, Gas Smell

Yeh, I got that too. Turned out to be the fuel pipes from behind the engine. The dealers were a pain and could find no fault - so after shouting at them and telling them to do it anyway - the smell went away.

Just to let you know.

• Gas smell

I hgave the same problem, but it only appears once in a while. Thanks for a very good forum.

• Terry hit the nail on the head with his answer. I experienced this problem when I first bought my 8. It started off as a "sometimey thing" then went to full time. I found the problem myself and changed the lines. There is also a small line that you can actually see on the right side of the engine that has a clamp on it. Make sure you replace the hose and the clamp on that line also. Peace, Big Nate

• Had same problem for the longest time

The BMW dealer finally found that all my gas lines were corroded - they changed them all and it seems like the smell is gone now - I also had them exchange the fuel pump to month ago which also was defect.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!