• Hi Guys,

My 850 has had a couple of hoses replaced and it seems to be running hot. The AA came around today and said that it could be an airlock. They opened the bleed screw and some air came out.

The car seemed to be fine until I got home (drove around 4 miles). But after I turned the engine off the temp gauge was creeping up and got to over three quarters. I know it makes sense as the main fan is not running and there is no cold air cooling the engine down as when you drive but I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

The car has also had a couple of Pipercross induction kits fitted recently and was wondering if this could cause the car to run hotter than normal.

The car has a history off coolant problems ranging from hoses bursting, replacement thermostat (900 miles ago) and a heater matrix (12 months ago).

There could possible still be some air in there so iof anyone can advise me the best way to get rid of it that would be great.

Cheers,

Nick

• overheating

nick hi buddy, now i'am no engineer but i'had the same prob's in the past, . drain down new thermostat refil & bingo, but a bmer garage did the work so i do'nt know any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , trust some other dude can help rgds steve

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Hi Nick, hows it going?

Does it run hot while moving or only on idle?
    Did you say the aux fan is not running?

The air filters will not make any difference to the coolent temp.

If you still have probs give me a call, if you still have my number. If not I will mail it to you.

Hope I can be of some help

Tee

• Hi Tee,

I'm great thanks. Just been spending quite a bit of time away with work. Hope you're well too.

Both fans are working. The car seems to be ok while it's driving (not tested it in traffic yet though) and also while idling. I just noticed that the temp needle seems to rise dangerously high when I turn the engine off and the main fan's not running. I am a little over cautious when it comes to temperature due to the history and panic when the temp creeps over 3/4.

It had three hoses replaced last week (the ones that go behind the manifold on the passenger side) which is why the airlock suggestion was made.

I've driven the car tonight and it seems to be ok but it was quick blip down the motorway and back.

If you could let me have your number again that would be great. I'll only phone if there is a problem though.

Thanks once again!

Nick

PS By the way, your car's looking great! Did you ever get the Alpine gear in it?

• Hi Tee,

She is running fine now. The AA got rid of some air and I got the last bit out on Wednesday night.

I have a little bit of a problem with somthing else and was wondering if you can make any suggestions. I mentioned that I have fitted a couple of Pipercross inducion kits. I simplt took the top off the original boxes, took the filters out and the new filters are resting on the bottom part of the existing boxes as this is where the air pipes lead to (phew! hope that makes sense). Anyway, the sound is fantastic but as they are drawing in hot air I have lost performance. I was thinking about bonnet vents but the only place these could go to make a difference would be where the lights are. I don't think they would be too effective further up the bonnet?

Any suggestions?

Sorry to keep picking your brain but you're one of the most knowledgeable 8 ownere I know.

Cheers pal,

Nick

• I have been thinking about doing this myself for a while now, and I rekon the only way is to use enclosed filters. Prob not want you want to hear but I am going to buy some filters in carbon housing (viper, gruppe m, bmc or simular) and take out the intake boxes and run ducting straight to the grill, thus keeping the airflow cold. If I were you I would remove the intake boxes and put ducting in as this will bring more fresh air to the filters.
    I am not expecting to gain hp I am doing it for looks mostly.

Probably totally wrong, but hey :lol:

• Hi Tee,

I'm going to have a look tomorrow and see what can be done. It gets so hot under there I agree that they need to be enclosed. The loss ofpower is immense. Just don't want to lose that awesome sound though. Not like a boy racers Janspeed, more like a throaty engine growl!

I'll take the boxes out completely tomorrow and run ducting like you suggest and let you know the outcome. Can see a morning of improvisation (and frustration) coming on!

Thanks again Tee!

Nick

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!