1995 840ci tranny whine

• Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have an idea why my 840 is emitting a whining sound coming from the tranny when it is cold and sound goes away when the car has warmed up. I had the same sound but went away when I had the tranny serviced. It has been 4000 miles since. My car has 61000 miles.

I am contemplating on switching wheels. Mine has HR springs. Does anyone have an idea what is ideal ....size 18 or 19 wheels?

Also I hear a "cricking" sound from the front wheels when I engage the break, anyone know what it is?

My car consumes 13mpg is this normal?

Thank you.

Noel

• problems.

With regards to the wheels i would personally stick with an 18 inch as 19 may look nice but don,t forget potholes etc and bad road surfaces can bend the rim the lower the profile you go on the tyre.
    The clicking noise sounds like the brake pads are binding to the discs so i would remove and check for wear and re assemble "or replace if low"using copper slip or what ever hi temperature heat grease BMW recomend spred with a brush on the backs of the pads obviously not on the friction suface and also spray the calipers and all components discs etc except pads with a brake solvent cleaner available from any decent motor factor shop.
    As for the mpg i would be very worried with only 13 per gallon.
    My V12 does 16 when i go absolutely nuts so i would look into checking the airfilters "easily done yourself"
    And failing that i would take the car to a garage or call out a krypton tuner or mobile mechanic to check the c o emmisions on your car by using a electronic co monitor to see if the mixture is running to rich.
    A normal very good free indication of this is to check the colour of your exhaust pipes and see if they are sooty inside the tip or a nice greyish colour the same goes for your spark plugs they should be a nice light brown colour if they are to dark this also indicates a mixture problem.
    The final tip is get someone to rev the vehicle when warm "not from cold" and check for excessive dark smoke this could indicate if you have checked all the above and they are ok that your cats may need replacing or a possible rings problem as the V8 engines were very well known to have a cylinder lining problem "see nicasil liners"that Bmw changed foc if the vehicle had done a certain milage and had a full service history unfortunately quite a few cars never had this problem addressed.
    I hope this helps

Regards

Chris

Regards

Chris

• Brake binding.

Sorry i forgot to mention to get a mechanic to check the discs for wear and correct thickness and also also possible warping and also to make sure the pistons on the brake calipers are not seized up or leaking any brake fluid.

Regards

Chris

• Nicasil liners

Hi
    No unfortunately there is no cure so BMW had to stump up for new engines where required, the criteria being full BMW service history and a certain set milage.
    Like i said unfortuately some cars slipped through the net as they were out of warranty or had covered too many miles.

Regards

Chris

• Noel hi,
    dont get too worried bout the nickasil problem before you check out the model block. The problem was bag in the USA due to igh sulfur content which ate the coating.
    Not all 84's had the problem Some were Alusil. !3 MPG is bad. Cats? Ihave an 94 with 1905000Klm's, chipped and gutted rear mufflers final drive 2.93 which gets 18-20 round the streets although Im 55 years young and probably drive a little lighter than some although I still enjoy frying a tyre now and then.

Nobody has mentioned injectors. They are the carburettors of old. One per cylinder. Can you imagine the carby with a leaking shaft or a sticky float causing hih flaot level? It is probably more of a likely cause than Nikasil.

I did mine recently and picked up idle quality, power and economy. Find an injector shop (ultrasonic cleaning and flow testing to ensure that even afyter cleaning you havent got one that is leaking or flowing more than others. Some engines used Lucas injectors ( not economical) others Bosch. Hope for Bosch.

The remove and refit is a days work. Bitchin for the for time. If you are going to do it yourself let me know I will guide you through, step by step.

The other possible, is PCV system. Typical German over engineered Friggin night mar. Its at the bac vertical on the inlet manifold and is an easy job when you have the plastic cover off the top so long as you have ten inch long finegrs with eight double joints.

The idle quality and speed can be badly affected with a dirty (inside) idle speed motor. This is an easy fix with some aerosol carby cleaner or paint thinners.

The tranny is another story. Stay tuned to the site coz mine is doing same. I have a friend with a tranny shop and coffee is comming uo soon as I can paln for a week in my home town Business commitment take me interstate Monday to Thursdays most weeks). Had the oil drained and replaced with no signs of worn clutches or metal dust so Im confident that it isnt major but its high on my urgent list coz to me noises are like pain. Stupid to endure pain without diagnosos first huh?

If you intend to hang on to your baby for a while be prepared to spend some time and bucks. They clean up nice and will give you heaps of joy.

Above all be wary of the know all journalist and wankers that have naver even driven one. I find that d#@%& heads who highlight problems with sometihing they dont have themselves can often be jealousy. The other reason is stupidity and you will never will an argument with stupidity.

BMW is no better for lack of wear and tear than any other car on the planet. Unfortunately because of the appeal to the wealthy target market BMW can charge much more for parts and service than most other brands so get used to shopping around for non genuine parts and quality non BMW service. There is plenty around and this site is frequented by plenty of enthusiasts who are glad to help.

Cheers,
    Theo
    Melbourne
    Victoria
    Australia.

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Thanks, Theo

This car is a keeper. I searched hi and lo for this model and I intend to run it to ground, but not soon I hope. Thanks for all your tips.

OK I will be on my toes for tips regarding the tranny.

Noel
    Burbank, California

• Nice to hear its a keeper Noel. What color? What wheels?What kind of mods so far?

Mine's Hellrot Red on black interior, replica M5 wheels, modded chip and
    Dinan style rear mufflers (gutted interior, cheap DIY mod for instant power gain).

Checked my economy. 15.7 ltrs/100k around the town = 18 MPG but Im not sure if that US gallons or Imperial. Theres a difference of .54 ltrs in favour of the British gallon but I'm not sure if our Aussie models are British or US. You need to do some quick conversion work there. The cumulative second display reads 19.4. That one contains some freeway work also.

Before I see my trans buddy I will record some facts on how long before the noise subsides and whether it goes away completely when hot.
    Perhaps you can do similar and let me know?

Cheers,
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Finally the diagnosis on the tranny after dropping the oil pan again, no visible metal residue in the oil.

''no problem" he says

'Yeah? But it makes a whining sound till it gets hot.'

'so turn the radio up huh huh huh'

'So whats the cause?'

'one of 3 things................. bearings can make noise but they dont have the ablilty to piss you off at will'

'Say what?'

....... they are either noisy or they arent and that means not when they feel like'

" why didnt I think of that!"

'clutches also f&%k up but when they die they lie in the bottom of the pan'

"the other possible?"

"aerated oil, enough to make a noise but not enough to be a problem, turn the f$%^&#g radio up and stop looking for problems"

'Ok, thanks then......see you again'

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!