Camber & Caster Rates

• Does anybody has any info about the Camber & Caster ratios of 850 for 235/45 R17 front and 265/40 R17 rear tyres? Do you think for these sizes it would differ from the stock ratios?

• stuart

Stock camber is -.5 degrees (Top of front wheels leaned in .5 deg) 1.5 or 1.75 would be much better. There are a couple of things that will get you more camber. I just bought k-mac camber and caster adjusting plates. MWrench on the roadfly board makes static plates. GregK is making them also but is backloged. It may take a few months to a year to get a set to you.

Wheel offset has a small effect on camber and none on caster.

• I f you spend a little time in the archives (search function:camber) you will end up in the sites' repair manual which gives you some interesting diagrams.
    Basically, if you think of a push bike then regardless of wheel diameter

1. the caster is the amount of backward lean of the front forks. radical is a chopper motorcycle and totally the other way is a penny farthing which was close to impossible to control
    2. camber is when tyhe rider leans over. Although on a bike its variable , on a car its static. Wheel sizes dont alter the lean

What does alter camber is when larrikans like me shorten the springs to make the car sit lower. The suspension arms swing on a pivot point which is the centre of a circle (in theory) As they move up and down they are actually swingingthrough a few degrees of the circle.

Not to confuse anyone, camber on most cars (front) pre he early 1980's had adjustment devices of some kind. Cost reduction to build plus not having to have an aligment saves big Dineros. Later cars are fixed and usually but not always suit most conditions.

A liitle extra negative camber (negative in this case is good) is good for handling while positive is for bad handling and instability.

Camber caster adjuster plates are made for most popular strut suspension carsand are used to correct indifferences from one side to tuther and to facilitate that little extra for racing or a club outingand to allow a more appropriate setting to keep tyres wearing across the whole tread.

If you seee a tyre that is leaning in toward the engine its positve cambered and chances are its been hit or lowered without correction. Also a good chance that the tyre is wearing on the inside edge.

Tyre diameters doesnt change anything and e31s often run up to 19 inch wheels and look rather fanbloodytastic.

Check photos of Memeber: Terry from Oregon. His car looks too good for an old fella but he copes

Cheers
    Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Wheel diameter will not affect camber, but offset and tire width will.

Imagine you jack up the car from the brake rotor. Everything pretty much the same as far as suspension angle right? Now jack it up at the center point of the lower controll arm. Suspension angle down a lot right? Jack the car at the inner control arm bushing and the wheel is all the way down. In other words, altering how far the wheel sits out from the car will affect the camber a small bit, both because of the ratio of the wheel out from the car and the differing stresses on the suspension parts combined with having rubber bushings in the suspension.

Moving the wheels out on the car by 1cm will increase the negative camber by aproximately .25 degrees. Some Antera wheels have such an offset. (23mm instead of 13 mm for the front.) This info from Greg Kovorcees of the Roadfly forum. He was kind enough to answer a number of questions of mine a while back. He is the one who is building the anti-sway bars refered to as K-Bars.

I recently aquired a used set of Dinan bars and am going to install the rear only. I will also be installing a set of K-Macs so as to increase the camber in front from -.2 on one side and -.5 on the other to about -1.6 on both sides.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!