Diff removal & replacement

• Anyone swapped a dif and can give me a breif rundown on tanything special to watch for, and perhaps tools needed and a breif step by step$

Im about to swap my 2.93 one wheelr for a 3.64 LSD. Had a quick look buy someone elses experince and a little advice is sure to save my weary butt from days of recovery. Im doing it at home with the car on stands so every little corner I can cut and every minute saved on my ass will be gratefully acknowledegd.

Thanks Guys

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• I don't remember what your 3.64 is from but buy a set of new bolts for all 3 flanges if they are internal hex. I stripped one completely out when I was doing a wheel bearing. The CVjoint bulges just enough to make them difficult for a straight in shot.

Belt AND Suspenders :D

You might want to Search the roadfly archives for pictures. There may be some older ones.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Oh and if you are changing the front flange there is a specific order of events that needs to be done to keep the ring and pinion in alignment.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• I just did mine this weekend...

Things that can be a PITA...

Exhaust removal (I found it necessary to get an easier bite at the cherry)

The 2 uppermost bolts (Top of diff) It took a bit of doing with a 3/8 long handled breaker bar with a long reach socket on the bolt and a ratchet spanner on the nut. Then you have to drift these out ( Very tight in there)

Breaking the hold of the output flange bolts was achieved with a long shanked allen key and a 12" bit of bar.(not ideal but could not get my 1/2" drive with the allen socket in there straight enough for a good purchase) You do not want to round the inside of those bolts!!!

If you have to swap the back cover and output flanges, clean both of the diff casings thoroughly and use a smear of Hylomar on the casing surface.

On refitting I found it easier to bolt up the prop first lift in position then attach the lower big bolt off the front mounting arm then proceed to line up the two main top mounts one at a time..

needles to say WD40 all the threads before assembly. Makes it alot easier...

Hope it all goes well.....

• Thanks Schnitz,

do you remember the nuts sizes and the allen key size?.

My toolk kit is for mainly American cars with AF sizes and I buy new stuff as reqd so I guess I may as well grab them while buying oil and gasket material.
    Did you change ratios? What results?

THEO

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Nut sizes!! :shock:

Allen key is 8mm. Top mount bolts and nuts are 19mm, Front mount arm (I undid this at the casing not the mount...) are 22mm and the prop is 17mm I think...

My ratio changed from a 3.15 to a 3.91 LSD and yes in S3 it will now spin off the line :D

Not that I do that of course :wink:

Anything else just shout :o

• Spin em up in S3 huh? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhh I like that, but like you, I wouldnt do that coz Im 55 and responsible!

JUst bought truckload of spares from a guy that used to convert BMs and has retired. Theres 3 complete rear ends, I mean everthing so maybe theres a 3.9 lurking amongst them. Couple of days yet before I geta chance to collect and acting like a kid with a new bike! Cant wait to tell my mates!

Cheers Schnitz,

Theo

THEO HOFFS
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!