Running hot AGAIN!

• Hi guys,

My 850 is running hot again - it just started today. The fans are working and the thermostat was changed less than 12 months ago.

I think it is most probably an airlock as it was last time. Can anyone tell me the best way to bleed the coolant? Do I leave the cap on or off etc.?

Hope someone can shed some light......... :?

Nick

• So where have you been all this time Nick?
    All very nice to come home to Momma when you need help bro.

Lucky we are nice guys huh?

Mate, the highest point at which air can collect is the logical place to put a bleed point but those numbnuts designers at BMW probably had a theory ( English:temporary loss of reason) where they imagined that osmosis would move the entrapped air.

Try to find the high spot and bleed the air off at that point and just do it over and over till it seems gone. Some air will move with water speed so eventually it should all pull through. Keep the heater water switches on all thge while you are trying to bleed it. Eventually (like my crap heap old Aussie Ford) it will clear itself.

I guess the design engineers get paid to make it as cheap as possible so a bleed nipple at a high point proved a point but the cost saving won the arguement.

Dont give up!

(and Nick, how about you post a word now and then even if it's only to have a crack at me!)

Good luck with it

Theo
    Melb
    Australia

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Thanks

Got rid of the air! Thanks guys!!

And Theo, thanks for the kind words. I didn't know you cared! Hope you're well pal. Point taken by the way - I promise to spend more time in the forum!! :oops:

Cheers,

Nick

• Gentlemen of the the 8 world Nick!

I'm not sure we are so special, I just know we are few and lucky to all own such a special piece of memorabilia so lets do it togetherand enjoy each others sompany while we can.

Cheers mate
    Theo
    Melb Australis

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Hi guys,

My engine is running a bit hot as well and I plan to bleed the system this weekend. I've read a few sources which tell me how to do this. They do seem to confuse me a bit. I would like a bit of verification before I start, please
    1) take off the cap of the expansion tank
    2) open the bleed screw with 2 or 3 turns
    3) fill expansion tank
    4) turn on heater (they are the two wheels in the centre console, right?)
    5) turn on engine
    6) wait until air has come out
    7) close bleedscrew
    8 ) let engine cool and check coolant level
    9) fill with coolant if necessary

Thanks in advance

Peter

• Hi guys,

I didn't get any response on the above post, but I bled the system anyway. Unbelievable, nearly 5 litres of coolant went in and when I opened the bleed screw I could hear the ait come out. It took about 40 minutes with the engine running and the heater fully on to get the air out. It's an easy job and well worth doing once in while.

Peter

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!