Newbie, new car and service suggestions

• Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to this as I'm about to collect an 840Ci this morning from a dealer in Birmingham. R plate, 23.5k miles and was serviced last by Rydales in 2001.

I live in Rotherham and was wondering if anybody had any experience of local dealers and/or the BMW 4+ warranty system in this area. I see comments about sytners(v local) and also that graham hill(not local) is good.

I am keen to get it serviced asap so if anybody has any suggestions?

Thanks

Henners

• Have you picked up your 840 yet? only I live in Cheshire which is on your way home and can reccomend great independent here, cheap and very fast.

• Henners hi and welcome, dont be fooled by thinking that taking your new baby to a main dealer is the correct thing to do, most of them hav'nt a frickin clue or can be arsed to be civil to a guy in a old car!!!!!!!!!

That was my exprience so i now use a indipendent for mechanicals etc and my friendly auto electrician for anything that the indipendent does'nt fancy touching , works well ,saves a small fortune.

When i got my 840 it had the extended warranty , but because of my lack of faith in my local dealer and the cost of renewal i choose not to renew the yearly cover.

To date ( 3 yrs ) my cost of parts which could have been claimed back from the bm warranty stands at £84.

3 years warranty would have been in the region of£2500 so draw your own conclusions, i hear that next years extended warranty renewals will be approaching £1550 per annum,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any way whoever you choose enjoy your 8.

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Thanks Guys,

So far It has been to Sytners of Sheffield for the oil service, which appeared to be painless enough and surprisingly cheap.

It is running superbly, and far better than I could have wished. I have extended the RAC warranty that I got with car for 3 years, which cost me £750.00. Apprantly whoever had the car before me didn't bother extending the BM warranty on it, I have checked.

I have done 750 miles, including a strech to Woking and back last weekend and it is a dream to drive. I still look twice when I walk past it.

I will no doubt be looking for an independent if the first service with Sytners turns out to be a trial.

A couple of queries, when I put the heating up to the point that it heats, rather than cools, there is a smell that comes from the heating system. I experienced a similar smell when the heater matrix went on an Espace we had, but Sytners said they could find nothing.

The other thing it squeaks at odd times (suspension), but once it has warmed up it seems OK, old age and lack of work I assume. If you have any similar experiences I'd be glad to hear of them

Thanks

Henners

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!