My new 93 850 Ci

• Hello everyone,

Im fairly new as a member here... been whatching the club for over a year now and finally bought my first 8 series out of Florida (im in WA).

Previously, Ive been a VW buff (but only for the makes that have actually been Germany manufactured). Then I went to buy my wife a larger car- and we first looked at a 3 series from 97 (used). Both my wife and I were astounded at how sorry that car was to drive. It had a cheap plastic feel to it and lots of annoying little rattles eminating from everywhere. The next day I found a 95 740il being clearenced off a mercedes lot. Reluctantly we drove it, bought it and after a few days of driving it- I fell in love with upper end BMW's.

Now I have sold the 7 and used the money to buy my first 8. I bought what appeared to be a car in good shape, viewed several pictures, car fax reports, and had long conversations with the previous owner as to it's condition. What I recieved is a sad sorry excuse for an 8. Here are some of the problems so far (week 1).

Sunroof- does not function as it should. I can get it to close by manupulating the switch and stopping it when it appears lined up with the rest of the roof. There is also a loose panel that sometimes gets stuck if i open the sunroof (the inner most panel that is covered with the ceiling liner material). Also the switch panel for the sunroof is all but hanging from where it should be- with fabric peeling that needs reattaching.

Brake linings - I can barely read the computer screen and first thought that it said brake lighting. But the alarm seemed to indicate something a bit more important. this one will be an no brainer to fix- but was not informed of it during the buy.

Engine- smells hot. the temp guage reads mid way, but something is not right.

Coolant- radiator is filled with a thick brown crud and the guage reads way above the proper fill level. (flush the system).... no sweat but then a hose blew (i think) while driving. It appeares to be from somewhere up near the drivers side firewall. got a nice towing bill already (anyone know the most likely part i need?)

check light is on - i think it is due to the brake linings.

Started the car one day and got a light that read EML (?) and the car had no power. I think that this was the Emergency limp home mode indicator and i was only running on one bank of cylinders. I shut her down and started her again with no problems....same day the hose blew

Rough idle, possible skipping- need diagnostic.

Wheels- corroded beyond help. has REALLY cheap tires (but new) all around.

Paint- covered in overspray and had been subjected to a VERY BAD buff job that exposed areas of primer. The car looked great in pics, but the paint is horrendous. I had her buffed out as best as the shop could safely do. That helped a lot.

No Owners manual- That REALLLY sucks. I cannot read up these issues im facing with the simpler systems and their operation (anyone have a book on disk?)

The drivers seat ajust raises electronically on only one side, tilting you towards the door.....great if one cheek is abnormally swollen.

The passenger side seat adjustments don't work at all.

The console ashtray lid has a broken hinge and the plastic is aesthetically destroyed with scratches and gouges.

the lid in the trunk for the ski bag has a broken latch...it rattles and squeeks as I drive.

And lastly (for now) - the car will not lock. the locks go down and then pop right back up with the use of the button or the key (no remote key either). ??????

All in all, I got a pretty piss poor excuse for an 850. Advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,

sincerely.

Mike Blain

:cry: [/b]

• What the hell were you thinking of when you purchased a

CAT in the BAG. You should have at least asked one of the many US owners in that area to go and have a look at her for you, anyone would have obliged if only had you had posted on Roadfly....

I hope you paid peanunts for her and I am pretty sure you will find more problems lerking under various areas.

Your first mission is to get hold of a copy of the owners manual. This sounds like a project car to me, does it have a service history, why was it re-sprayed?

The 850 E31 is a very complex car and has more electronics and control systems than the space shuttle. Check the climate control system as well to ensure no faults crop up there.

You can purchase a service manual on the famous auction site:

Wish you a lot of luck with her.

Dan.

Not young enough to know everything :lol:

• E31 Purchasing Rules

Mike;

First, be sure to register you and your car in the E31 Registry at 8-Fest.com: http://www.8-fest.com/registration/index.cfm

Secondly, we have a close-knit community of 8 Series fans in the Pacific Northwest. We recently had the 2005 Paciific Northwest 8-Fest on Whidbey Island, WA: ttp://www.8-fest.com/events/recap.cfm?EventID=16
    Wish you could have been there.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Had you checked out the purchasing rules and other resources at http://www.e31faq.com ? Also, as the E31 Registry Agent, I can sometimes assist with background information.

Based on your post, I regret to say that this wasn't the car for you and that there are better examples out there with complete provenance (service records, ownership, etc.). My heart aches when I read stories like this one...many 8er's haven't been taken care of and can cost up to $10k to bring back into peak operating condition. I wish we could have connected...and get you the appropriate help you before you got into this mess.

If you wish, I can connect you with others in the Pacific Northwest that can be of assistance to you. You can reach me via the 8-Fest.com contact page: http://www.8-fest.com/about/contact.cfm

You may want to cut your losses, sell this 8er, and start over with a better 850/840.

In the event you decide to keep the 850, get yourself mentally situated for the long road ahead.

• Hi

Are you in Bellingham or elsewhere in Washington?

There may be an Owner or two near you that can help with some of your problems.

Some may be fairly easy like the sunroof position reset. Run it to closed and hold the button until you hear it reset or 20 seconds which ever comes first.

The coolant leak is probably a broken nipple on the auxillary pump/heater valve assembly. That is fairly common.

Change the coolant out soon.

The mid and the loose headlights that you didn't mention are BMWNA courtesy repairs if you use the right path to getting them done.
    http://www.e31faq.com/Default.aspx?catId=93 (instrument panel)(lighting)

The seats are a normal problem on both the E31 and E32. The expert lives near Everett and I believe that he does them for a small fee if you don't want to tackle them yourself.
    http://www.e31faq.com/Default.aspx?catId=92 for info

The brake warning is for Pad wear but the check engine light is not related. You will have to pull the codes to see what the problem is.
    http://www.e31faq.com/Default.aspx?catId=88E31 (Self Diagnostics using the DME Flash Codes) (See DK motor section for EML light)

Door locks have been discussed here in other threads---A Search might be in order both here and on Roadfly's E31 board

Remote key is a dealer item except for '91 models. The Infrared alarm on US '91s is disabled and no matter how many keys the dealer is willing to sell you, they won't work.

From this point I think that we need the model year of your 850 to continue.

We have a "Tame " dealer who cuts us a big discount on dealer only 8 series parts. http://buybmw.com/access.html Talk to Dave.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Wow!

Great replies all of you.

Im located in Bellingham.

On to the issues:

Sunroof- It won't go to the closed position by holding the button. I have to actuate the pop top mode after I actuate the close sunroof mode, just tio get it to seat right.. If I hold the button for 20 seconds it will just pop the roof up.

Headlights- don't have issues there yet. just have no driving lights possibly due to bad bulbs.

Repairs and diagnostics- I have her in to Fairchild European Automotive.
    Ive had great help from them with my 740. I'll mention the "nipple" which is most commonly a problem. But the fluid didnt leak out....it burst out all at once up near the firewall.

Seats- I will be in touch with this person if i cannot find a cure myself.
    Thanks.

I did get the car for cheap. But not cheap enough to deal with all these headaches. I may fix the major issues and pass her on to someone with more time to give her care.

The car was not repainted- but oversprayed with house paint on accident.

I'll post an update on the mechanics findings in a day or two.

Thanks

MikeB

• UPDATE:

After my postings above, Ive taken her to the mechanic for a thorough inspection to which he has detected the following problems.

It seems that i had a nasty oil leak from the filter area.

It was in fact a nozzle that caused my coolant gusher. (replacing 2ndary pump)

The engine has noted a few codes with reguard to spark -which may be the main culprit to cause the engine to shut down one bank of cyl's. - we are starting with plugs and working our way up.

The brake linings warning from the computer was indeed a faulty wire sheath.- replaced, light now gone.

I have a pair of very worn A arm bushings- causing a jolt when i release the brake and accelerate. (need to see about obtaining these and replacing them myself---input appreciated here.

Those are the main problems aside from seats and the rest of the stuff listed in my first post. Feel free to voluteer any sympathy or better yet cash donations- or unused realestate deeds. :)

Thanks all.

Mike B

• Hi again

The front upper bushings (Steel arm) are replaceable by themselves or the assembly is replaceable if the ball joint end is bad. Any on line parts house will have them. The thru bolt must be torqued with the cars weight on the wheel or they will die again very soon!!

The front lower Aluminum arm is supposed to have twisting play because it has a Spherical bearing rather than a bushing in the big end. It is the only BMW that has this arrangement rather than a bushing. No side play or end play but twist is ok. In the $200+ range each at the online shops.

Have the mechanic check the strut nuts inside the spring too.

Can't help with the V12 stuff though. But Wuffer (Tom) is a good source of information on that.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• My 850 is in for head gasket replacement at the moment, and some of the symptoms you describe sound familiar:
    Engine smells hot but guage shows normal,
    Gunge in the coolant
    Running sluggish when cold (could be due to coolant leaking into a cylinder)

When you start up the car put your hand near the exhaust pipe. It should feel cold and dry. If one of them feels hot and damp then you have a head gasket problem. Don't drive it until it' s been checked. It may be too late considering the abuse your car has suffered, but you don't want to damage the heads or valves. Get it checked.

It is unfortunate that you had this problem, but 8s are not cheap to run. Only look for those that have been looked after. I hope you can get everything sorted.

• Thanks Peter,

Fortunately the head gasket is ok. Hot smell was from gunk in the coolant plus I was also getting a sweet muggy feeing in the car like you might experience with a gasket leak- I feared the worst. The cause was the slight leak at the secondary water pump prior to it bursting altogether. Thank god.

Im having the mechanic do the front control arms, plugs change from platinum to silvers (less finicky plug with reguard to fuel air ratios) the pump
    and then getting it aligned for the new wheels and tires. After that I will concentrate on the interior problems- drive it for a spell ande see what else pops up in the codes that has to be delt with.

Mike B

• Hi Mike

When mine came apart for the gasket they found the water pump seriously corroded and leaking from the outside, but in a place that just can't be seen without actually taking it out.

I know my previous owners had everything fixed as it came up, but I think they skimped on servicing. That said, when the heads came off the interior looked like it has only done 3000 miles, but in fact it's now dome 113000!

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. I think that if you get fixed those things that could lead to serious trouble, then you can renovate it at your leisure.

I can assure you, and I think everyone else on this site would agree, it will be well worth it when it's finished.

Good luck

• Thanks Peter,

I agree. and am spending the money accordingly. I had bought this car to resell and then take the proceeds to either get the manual version of a 95 ish 850 or a nice stabicraft boat for the islands.

as it turns out I may have to keep this 8 and bide my time for other toys....unless we know anyone that wants a naturally aspirated 225 hp 1700 lb 1981 VW scirocco that I recently built for about 20 large. Another labor of love and I doubt i'd part with her even if push came to shove....street legal go cart. :^)

MB

• Hi Mike. That Scirrocco sounds fast. But you can't beat the sound and feel of a V12 engine powering a big machine. It may or may not be as fast as the Scirrocco, I don't know. I expect on good form the 850 will be faster because the transmission is so efficient. But even if it's not got quite the accelleration, the feel is so different, I know you'll love it.

Peter

• It would be difficult to try and compare the VW to any high end BMW.
    the VW is built to take off and stop as fast as possible for autocross racing
    while the other is a graceful Grand touring machine which excells at speeds that would turn your seats brown in the little 4 banger vw.
    Both have their purpose- but I would definately choose the 8 (or a 7) as my daily driver.

I can't wait till the new M 6's start hitting the used market! ;^)

• I have mixed feelings about the M6. The new 6 series is so ugly! But then you can put up with a lot of ugliness when you have 500BHP. The new M5 seems a better deal to me. Same engine and transmission as far as I can make out, same extras, lighter weight car and not so ugly.

Now if you could get that engine in an 8 body, then you'd be talking!

I parked next to a new 6 recently. Despite all its high tech features the driver was raving about my car. He'd just bought an ex demo and saved £9,000, more than I paid for mine!

• Wow,

im quite taken by the look of the M6. Not so much with the standard 6 and even less with the style of the M5. I think the M6 looks much more sophisticated with a just a hint of sleekness.

and to keep content in line with the topic, I have an update on my 8.

The mechanic was able to replace the bushings instead of the control arms. Infinate improvement he says. As well I have the plugs all changed now, my brake linings problem is fixed, and the check light still pops on periodically.
    The mechanic (Bruce) says that he is unable to decifer the screens readout but one of the reasons is due to the low washer fluid level (cracked fluid tank) as for the other couple of reasons- he is unsure.
    I pick the car up and pay the 1400 in the morning (does that come with vasoline).? Looking forward to getting to drive her for a spell.

Still have to fix the seats and the sunroof issues. which leads me to a question.

Is there a layer in the roof that closes manually? Or do I have a loose inner panel? anyone with an earlier 8 should be able to tell me.

Thanks all.

MB

• Glad to hear it's getting sorted. I should get mine back in a few days.

How much did you pay by the way. Mine £ 7,500 GBP and in reasonably good condition. A few things went wrong, but most of my recent troubles have been due to the knock on effects of a minor accident, things which didn't get noticed for the insurance claim. Generally the car is good.

The sliding roof, all of it is electrically driven in mine (1993) and I think is in all models. The roof panel inside slides independently and differently to the outer panel, but both controlled by the same button.

Peter

• I paid 9,500 usd plus the following:

1125.00 shipping
    1427.00 repair bill for simple maintenance issues
    379.00 exterior detail/paint overspray removal
    2200 wheels tires
    and a few hundred in misc. lotions sprays and waxes.

I'll call it 14,000 and hope to resell her for 17000 when all the rest of the troubles are remedied.

MB

• My final update:

Ive been driving the car for three days now and finally figured out the Sport mode. YIPEEEEEE
    I had a 740 with a 5 speed auto that required droping it into 4 to activate sport.
    so logically dropping the 8 into 3 puts it into sport. For some reason I was looking for a button so I would have sport with 4 gears.
    Anyway:
    Car idle is much better! Smooth with no hesitations whatsoever.
    The power is good- but I do believe this car should have naturally had much more than was supplied.

Handling is great for a car this heavy. Easy to whip the tail out, briefly, and get a little sideways in the corners (i don't do this often). I also tried to get her drift on a circular onramp slated for 15 mph by doing 70 and accelerating. She held on the road pretty well- felt very stable and the only questionable part of that test really had to do with the cheapass Fulda tires the P.O. put on her. I now have a set of nittos which should greatly improve handling and launch speeds.

One problem that exists, my mechanic did a test that showed a power drain of 600 watts/amps (whatever) whereas it should only have an acceptable drain amount of about 50. I need to source this problem (any ideas?) And to top it off I left the fan on last night which drained the battery enough that I had to jump the car this morning. (my batteries are less than 1 year old each).

One other bit that would be nice is to get my hands on one of those tail fins that come on the CSI's (in black) if anyone has one on their spare parts car LMK. OH and I need a rear view mirror that works- mine is half clouded with whatever they use to darken it at night. Tough to distinguish
    if state troopers are approaching from the rear.

Lastly, The car was advertised with front and rear radar detection- is this standard? how do I use it? where the heck is it located for me to switch on or off?

Thanks all, for the help do date.

Mike B

• Hi Mike
    To take your questions in turn, I can only answer how things are on mine for you to compare, so here goes.
    When you are in drive there should be a readout on the dash that says ED (That is Economy mode, drive selected). Next to the transmission select lever there should by a sliding switch that has S towards the front of the car and M towards the rear. This slider (push it and release) changes the transmission to Sports or Manual mode. The readout on the dash will change to SD or MD depending which you choose. Put the selecter to 3 and you will see E3, S3 or M3 on the readout. To return to the economy mode press the switch down (ie towards the floor) and release. The readout should return to ED.

Choice of tyres will make a huge difference. Be careful though pushing the car hard, it will burn through soft-compound high performace tyres faster than a Ferrari. I can get about 8000miles out of the front pair and 16000 out of the rear pair.

No idea what the drain is, but the fan should not stay on more than a few minutes after you stop. I find the fan cuts out more quickly if I do a few miles at low speed at the end of a journey, but then I had a heating problem that blew the head gasket. It may be better now.

I'm not sure what your seller meant by radar detection, and certainly not on the front. If you have it on the back it will look like 4 or 5 colour co-ordinated circles in the face of the rear bumper. If it's working it will cause a beep inside the car as you reverse and get close to an object. It will get quicker as you get closer and become a continuous tone when you really don't want to get any closer.

Hope that helps

all the best
    Peter

• Thanks Peter,

As far as Sport mode, I belive that the US models may be vastly different than your Euro models. I have a selector switch that has choices for either A= automatic or M= manual
    and then to get the sport mode we have to move the gear lever into 3 in the automatic mode. The readout then says S 3. This was true for my 95 740 il and it is how it works for the 93 850. Unless Im really missing something. But I see no selector switch that triggers the S in the readout.

Yeah I suspect my fan will be a problem and may be causing the drain. I have to make a concerted effort to remember and switch it off before zI exit the car. Today it shut off by itself. Sometimes it doesnt. Maybe the switch is faulty. Sounds logical to me.

As for tires. I wonder why your fronts deteriorate before your drive tires?
    Ive never encountered that problem before. I really like performance and
    consider the expense of tires to be acceptable. Nut I run em till they are darn near bald too. :^)

Radar detection has to do with informing us if we are in the proximity of a police attempt to catch us speeding. It warns of varius radar types, often prior to being zeroed in on. Witht the exception of laser detection- which tells you if youve been tagged and that it's too late to dao anything about it. I definately do not have any of the cicle things (proximity alert detectors) that you described. Would be nice to have on the sides of the car though, to help protect against curb rash on the wheels. :^)

Thanks

Mike B

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!