which antifreeze/coolant types are acceptable for our cars??

• I used to own an 81 928 which required a special type of antifreeze. Before i refill my radiator I thought that I would check with the list to see if there are any special concerns on antifreeze for our 8s.

appreciated.

Mike Blain :D

• Mike,

Use BMW anti freeze as contains the correct corrosion inhibitors etc for our engines. It is available from all BMW dealer parts and isn't too expensive. Also it is a good idea to use distilled water when you fill up the coolant system, not tap water as the lack of bubbles in it reduces the gurggling sometimes heard from the pumps and also there is no crap in it! A 50/50 mix is recommended.

Ben

• What ever you put in it, BLEED the system repeatedly for a couple of days to get the air out.

e31faq.com should have the procedure. Just don't overtighten the bleed screw.

I have read several discussions on coolant and every color out there has been used. I will do BMW blue when I change mine. But it is currently green.
    My 740 was Orange (DexCool)

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Thanks guys.

I used Dex this time- just because I had some kicking around and didnt want to suffer the possibility of a freeze. Im having the system flushed again and I will use the BMW coolant to refill her.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!