ATTENTION ALL!!! Fuel leak/smell

• I’ve had a pretty bad fuel smell for months now on my 1990 850i, some days worst then others, and some no smell at all. BMW service looked at the car and told me they couldn’t find anything. I replaced the fuel pump and hoses around the fuel pump, fuel filters and hoses around the filters that didn’t help eider, I looked everywhere, under the passenger seat, in the engine bay, under the car with no luck,.

Last week on a hot sunny day I was on the traffic lights and literally seen gas fumes evaporating on front of my windscreen from the engine bay along with very strong fuel smell. That was it, I pulled up on the side of the road there and then, pup the bonnet up and keep the car running and finally there it was. Fuel was leaking from the fuel hose behind the engine coming from the intake manifold and into the firewall and under the car, so much so that I think I actually saw a drop. Now, this hose is right on top of the ignition wires and exhaust manifold (see pic). Very, very dangerous, red hot exhaust and spark from bad ignition wires, I was very lucky indeed, you get the picture.

When the car was not running there was no fuel leak. The engine needs to be on to create pressure.

Theo Hoffs mentioned this before on this forum, and I can not stress enough to all owners who’s car is older then 10 years to replace this hose. Cost $8.50 from your local auto shop and 10 min of your time. All you need is flat screwdriver, alto the hose clamps are pretty awkward to get to so if you have one of those screwdrivers that bend around corners will make your work much easier.

The old hose (see pic) had “BMW 03.09” written to it, meaning March 1990. My car was first sold April 1990 so this fuel hose is 16 years old. Now I want to replace all other fuel hoses and assume there is one of those on the other side of the engine but I can not see it or find it. If anyone knows where it is please let me know. My car is RHD but im sure isn’t much different to LHD.

Thank you for your attention
    Zoran
    1990 850i AU

• Hi Zoran,

Man you were lucky!!!! My car is also 16 years old and I recently checked with the previous owner if he had ever replaced the hoses and he never did. There is also nothing mentioned in the history. So, thanks for the advise.

Cheers,

Peter

• Zoran

Great post mate. Fab pics.

Same thing happened to me except it was the fuel pipes very close to the bulkhead. Had then replaced a couple of years ago - now just gone again!

• Peter, yes, lucky is understatement. I posted this message on roadfly and Jon L confirmed that this is the return fuel hose that comes from a Y shaped steel pipes from the pressure regulator. So there is only one of those.

davidmiler, thank you for your kind words.

zoran

• Thanks for the reminder about this.

The first time that I saw this was a couple of years ago with a series of fires either on top of the engine or behind it.

IIRC there are about 8 hoses that start leaking at about the same time.

2 on the firewall behind the engine
    4 under the cover on top of the engine
    2 under the all the brake stuff on the right front fender (LHD)

There are 2 varieties of fuel hose from BMW and one of them lasts longer than the other. One is reinforced? Sorry mind is going :(

There is another set of non pressure hoses to the carbon canister that are dying of old age now and do emit a fuel smell.

I suppose that someday I will have to get an 850 so I can live these things first hand instead of Second hand :)

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Took my 91 in for it's 200K mile service and assuming I had the same issue told them exactly where the fuel smell was originating from. 100% correct and only $350 to replace the part!!! Um...yeah isn't this about a $10 part? order me the part. They are also ordering me a $25 oil pan gasket cause I refuse to pay the $460 for them to replace it.

Thanks you so much for this post otherwise I wouldn't have know it was such a quick fix but such a big issue.

If it doesn't make it run better, go faster, handle better don't bother...

• Hello,

Im Just wondering is someone has experienced the same problem/solution with an M73 engine?

Would really appreciate your help.. im battling a fuel smell that obliges me to shower and change clothe everytime i use the car because i reek fuel !

My theory is that it the fumes are being brought into the cabin by the AC as it only happens when my AC is on...

Thanks! :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!