Wood Grain inserts

• Hey guys me again, i was wondering for my 1992 850I, do the nice wood trim and or console inserts fit my model? I see the latter models have this. I also looked at the alpina interior and it has the same center console as mine but had wood trim all the way up.

If it can and you know where to buy them can someone guide me to where i can get these?

Thanks
    JP

1992 - 850I
    1989 - Ferrari Testarossa
    2001 - Corvette Z06
    1985 - Corvette 383

• From what I've seen, you can retrofit wood console pieces into your car, but at a huge cost. The wood pieces themselves are over $1000 each and you have to get different door/lower dash panels to accept the wood trim. Center console is just a simple swap, I think. Don't know about where to find the parts, but I read recently that Gault BMW helped out someone else do this exact thing. Good luck. It looks great, but I'm not sure whether it would be worth the outflow of cash.

Paul

• Forgot to mention that you could go the thin wood veneer glue ons that are sold that go right over your existing console pieces. I've heard mixed reviews on that stuff. Not sure I'd like the look. I think you would be able to tell that you've just stuck some wood bits on top of what you already have.

Paul

• Hello,

I think that it was only the Alpina and certain USA models that were offered with the wood trim around the gear stick/selector and some of these cars also had wood trim in place of the lower leather trim around the bottom of the dash and lower parts of the doors.

However, if you consider that on many new cars, including BMW, polished wood is now replaced by carbon-fibre effect trim or aluminium, it's quite interesting that in this respect, the 8-series was ahead of its time, being designed with no wood.

In my oppinion, adding the wood - particularly the bright finishes- makes it look a bit outdated and tacky, especially as it does not feature anywhere else on the car.

Having said that, if you can find something in black birds-eye maple or a similar dark wood, it could blend in quite well with a black or grey dashboard and look relatively modern.

As far as fitting, there may be a difference between the manual and automatic gear versions, but otherwise the trims should be all universal fit.

• wood grain

Arnie and Paul thanks for the information regarding the wood grain.

I was only going to do the center console pieces and not the doors or trim around them. I figured the cost would be substantial and couldnt justify it.

But since you stated the center pieces (by shifter and armpiece or for me where the phone went) i would like to put something there. i know were limited because of the 8 series vs the many selections i had for my corvette. I would love a deep black wood finish or even the carbon fiber. Do they make a "rosewood" or am i limited to the birds eye?

Thanks again for your words and advice guys

JP

1992 - 850I
    2001 - Corvette Z06
    1985 - Corvette 383

• I think your best bet would be to contact Dave or Al at Gault BMW. Do a google search for the web adress and give them a call. they are great at finding anything for our cars, and you will get a discount if you mention the club. I know that several have done carbon fiber, but I'm pretty sure those are custom made pieces. There have been some posts of companies that will take your existing console pieces and apply the carbon fiber treatment directly to them, then you refit these pieces back on. Search the archives on roadfly and you are bound to come up with lots of information. If you don't know about that site, go to roadfly.com, go to the BMW forums, choose the e31 forum, go to search up near the top and then type in whatever you are searching for. Lots of great info there.

Good luck on your quest.

Paul

• roadfly

Hey Paul,
    Thanks for the great information. I will check it out today and contact those people you spoke of. Ill let you know what i come up with.

Thanks again!

JP

1992 - 850I
    2001 - Corvette Z06
    1985 - Corvette 383

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!