Wiring harness fried!!! Help or name of good mech in Vegas!

• I don't know what happened! I bought my 850 in August, everything's been going pretty well, until Monday. Monday I was driving home and started to smell something coming through my vents. By the time I actually got home, I couldn't figure out what had happened. Tuesday I drove to work - everything's fine. At lunch I had gone less than a block, the smell returns with smoke. I stop, open the hood - there's smoke coming from the wiring harness, and it's coming from everywhere under the hood.
    I don't know how much damage has been done other than I can see several wires that are now a melted together mess. Today I towed it to the BMW shop and they told me it will cost $3400 for the harness, $5900 if they have to replace the computers too. Has anyone had this happen? What's the deal? Also, I'm in Las Vegas, NV - anybody know a reliable shop here that might not charge me so much?

• Your best bet would be to ask here: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e31/

That is where most of the US owners hang out.

I think that there is someone in LV that had a shop that they hated and one that they loved but I don't remember who it is or what shops.

You might want to search the archives there first.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!