• I've been off the board for a while, so sorry for the late response, but here is my latest experience. I had a very annoying shimmy at 70 mph, which is where I tend to hang out, until I had new performance spings fitted front and rear. I had done everything else, including all new front end components, new bilstiens front and rear, new wheels and tires, allignment, and still the shimmy. After fitting the H&R springs, no more shimmy. Just my experience.

• Hey Paul,

interesting!

While replacing the spring fixed the problem, in principle, it just doen't make sense that it was the spring itself.

Do you have any thoughts on that

Cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Is it possible to fit springs & not have them seated correctly :shock:

I have recently had all 4 springs replaced on my 740 & guess what i now have a shimmy :( previously it was perfect :roll::evil:

Those who risk nothing,achieve nothing,become nothing.

• Springs can be a real headache. The length, diameter, steel cross-section, alloy composition and tempering can all affect the natural resonance of the spring set up. This is usually more of a problem with third party springs.

You can check the rims quite easily - especially if you can borrow a dial gauge. I had to do this to prove to ATS who refused to accept that their tyres (not for the 8) were out of true. They balanced on the machine, but wobbled on the road - they were oval - yet they blamed my wheels.
    The dynamic balancer in the garage cannot detect the tyre shape - as long as the centripetal forces all work out it is happy - even if the tyre is dumbell shaped.

• Hey Theo,

I have absolutely no idea. I'm pretty much a numb nut when it comes to my cars suspension. I do know that when the new springs went on, the ride smoothed out. It's been so long since it was stock that I don't know how it compares to when I first got it. I think with the 18" wheels, performance tires, stiff shocks etc... the ride is harsh. But, my other car is an '01 740iL. I wish I had the ride quailty of that car with the handling of my 850. That would be a great combination (IMHO). I thought I was doing the right thing when I started upgrading, but now wish I had gone with 17" wheels and OEM shocks, etc... It does hug the road in corners, though.
    Completely off the subject, but do you happen to have a right side light bar for the front end of a '92 US spec car lying about? I just went to the stealer and priced it again. $265 US. My right side light below the pop up is corroded inside because of a long ago stone chip in the lens. I would like to get it matching the bright and shiny left side.

Cheers,

Paul in SA (San Antonio)

• Paul

be happy you don't still have the Boge OE shocks. If you went back to them you would be very dissapointedlet alone the cost differential. They "ooze" around corners till you stiffen the suspension up.

I fyou really want it to go where you point it then a set of 28.5 front sway bars and 19mm rear. Like a go kart! they are available form k-Mac Ysndey Aust or from Greg K someplace in the US but it seems he is a backyard work form home hobbyist rather than a respected business (un reliable and slow to deliver form all reports).

As for the light, no. Our Ausssie spec cars are same as Europe/UK.

Try Carlie Spear or Dave Belknap at Gault BMW 180-0 777 5508 or 607 748 7419

Cheers

THEO HOFFS
    MELBOURNE'S CLUB of EIGHTS/
    PIECES of EIGHTS PARTS
    VICTORIA
    AUSTRALIA

• Theo,

Thanks. I'll check out Gault for the part. I've heard of the K-Bars, but have also read all of the complaints on delivery or lack there of. The car handles pretty well as it is now with the staggered wheel set up. That seemed to make some difference when i did the upgrades. I'll have to look into the company in Australia, though. Might be my next project.

Paul in SA

• think your are right paul, mine started after upgrading to bilstein eibach at bmw´s but the dummies couldn´t fit the bilstein in the front so they did stock and changed both rear tires , they say it is the wheel or the tires/front , only it trembles so much i have an hard time believing it´ll change...............

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!