Help!!new member has transmission problems!!

• Hi everybody!
    last week I got suddenly automatic transmission problem. when driving lower speed,there is no problems, but in highway speed about 100km/h and more some kind of safety program is switched on. I think there is gear 4 on in the gearbox. There is also a warning in display: betriebenotprogram.
    After stopping the engine it disappears and car is normal, but always when the speed is near 100km,it happens again. Then I changed transmission oil and filter at the local bmw dealer, but nothing happens.They also reset the warning code. My car is -92 850i, now with 175t km and I think nothing has been done gearbox before. New oil is Valvoline Dexron III for transmissions over 100t km. What could I do now???.
    Regards from Finland :?

• Zitat von csipower

Hi I had the same problem. when i change all the 12 sparks the problem was solved . Bosch F8 LCR sparkplugs

Hi!
    Thank you for your advice. I changed sparplugs before my problems began. I changed them myself, but right block cylinder 12 was too difficult to change.
    BMW computer dianostic was some kind of valveproblem in the gearbox.

• What plugs did you install? The early V12's do not like Platinum plugs. If that is what you used, replace with Bosch F8LCR's. The platinums seem to work ok for a while then start causing problems. If you installed Platinums, I would bet that this is your problem. F8LCRs are a cheap replacement.

• Zitat von Wuffer

What plugs did you install? The early V12's do not like Platinum plugs. If that is what you used, replace with Bosch F8LCR's. The platinums seem to work ok for a while then start causing problems. If you installed Platinums, I would bet that this is your problem. F8LCRs are a cheap replacement.

Thank you Wuffer your advice and answering my problem. My new plugs are not platinum,I checked this because I have one plug left ( Bosch FR 8 LC ! ).....Has the dealer sold me wrong plugs!!!???. Is it really possible that wrong or broken blugs can cause automatic transmission problems??. Today I drove in town with speed less than 60km/h->no problems and engine starts up very well, but when I tried to drive little faster (about 110km/h),it happend again. Safety Program "getriebenotsprogram"turned on.
    I
    Lately I have been afraid, that I must repair the whole gearbox and that would be very expensive operation. So every tip would be great help for me, If i could do something myself. :shock:

• Hi Evren!Very interesting question;Actually I have once noticed that flasher light did not work, gauges..Hmm...I ´m not quite sure but headlights were up.Once flasher was on whole time, i mean did not tik..tak..what is the right english word.Thank you for your help!
    Regards Timo

• if your gauges are not working when the transsafe mod comes out, you may want to check your spark wirings. And if it's spark wirings it will not keep running untill you replace them.

Regards,
    Evren

• I've had the same problem

I have had the same transfailsafe kick in twice, once at 125 mph and once at less than 30 mph. It seams to be related to transmission since the transmission locks into 4th gear but it may just be trying to keep the car from using higher rpm's. The manual gives little help.

I'm not sure how the spark wires relate to gauges and lights and did not notice any affect on them but was not looking speciffacly at them.
    Anyone else have ideas or help?

• Re: I've had the same problem

Zitat von cishark

I have had the same transfailsafe kick in twice, once at 125 mph and once at less than 30 mph. It seams to be related to transmission since the transmission locks into 4th gear but it may just be trying to keep the car from using higher rpm's. The manual gives little help.

I'm not sure how the spark wires relate to gauges and lights and did not notice any affect on them but was not looking speciffacly at them.
    Anyone else have ideas or help?

Hi cishark! My problems are also quite same, when 4th gear locks->transfailsafe comes out.Today I must check if I have wrong spark plugs. I have heard that 175tkm is not very much for ZF automatic transmission, engine and gearbox are same in 750i( one bmw ownner told me). I am very happy for all of you members this forum, I have got many valuable tips.

• I think that the references to spark plugs and wires is related to the two sensors on the spark plug wires (#6 and #12) that detect spark conditions for the engine computers.

If one of the sensors detects a spark failure (why you should always change the # 12 spark plug) it sends a signal to the EML computer that controls throttle position and the EML light in the Instrument cluster should at least flash on once.

A side effect of this failure seems to be sometimes putting the transmission in "Fail Safe" mode while the engine keeps running normally.

Most times the engine goes into Limp Home Mode and runs on 6 cylinders until it is restarted or repaired.

If both occur at the same time I would imagine it would be like driving a 500cc lorry uphill :(

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

• Hi Terry! Thank you your great advice; You hit the nail! First: I have wrong spark plug in #6 and #12 was too difficult for me to change because I have extra heater Eberspächer and there is two extra about 25mm hoses near the right block so there is no space working there (really). Today a dealer who sold me wrong plugs has ordered new ones from Germany, coming here in Finland next monday. Bosch representative in Finland has told that F 8 LCR plugs are not yet produced and FL 8 CR has replaced it. Technical specs are similiar, but new one has little stronger "flash", he had also told that BMW is one of the most difficult case->it needs just the original spark plugs. They change my plugs in garantie. So I have now FL 8 CR in all other but old original BMW label plug in #12 and my beauty is almost death!!!.And thats true as you Terry said: it feels like driving 125cc lorry+trailer uphill!!I think that 3 cylinders are working very lazy and rest are sleeping. I hope that next week my baby is newborn again.
    -Timo :o

• Hi Terry,

Do you have any background/experience with the Kingsborne spark wirings? I read they have red color set for ignition cable. Wow that should be look nice.(Of course with a highvalue)

is that also fitting to european models?

Thanks for info,

Regards,
    Evren

• So far I have not heard anything bad about the Kingsbourne wires that I can remember.

There is another brand being sold in the US now that I have heard bad things about but I don't remember their name.

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others. Mine sometimes feels that way.

Terry

1995 840Ci
    1991 850i
    Woodland Washington USA

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!